Description: Clay Hunt is a game for Android that aims to replicate the rhythm and pace of shooting clay without actually having to head down to the range. Clay Hunt features authentic physics used to replicate the path clays take in the air and through its innovative aiming system, the rhythm of drawing and firing those two shots come through well while playing the game. With a traditional mode that just aims to bring the range to you, as well as a crazy fun arcade game mode there's a lot on offer for clay pigeon shooters here. Even if you don't regularly shoot, this is a great game on Android and it features one of the most compelling control schemes out there, making great use of today's larger displays.
How it Works: To get started with Clay Hunt, all you need to do is download the game from the Play Store, and then you're ready to go.
The tutorial is a great place to start, and it'll let you know just how to control the game:
Clay Hunt features an interesting control scheme; you have to drag with one finger or thumb to aim and then tap to shoot.
As the game suggests, it's a good idea to find a comfortable way to play the game as the controls are what give the game its authentic feel and pace. I find that it's easiest for me to hold my Nexus 7 in the palm of one hand and then drag to aim with my finger and simply tap my thumb to fire. No matter what you choose though, make sure it's comfy. When shooting down clays, it's as simple as you'd think it'd be - once you've got the controls figured out - all you need to do is aim and fire.
At the end of each level, you're given a rundown on how well you did, just like you'd get at the range.
For those looking for something a little more exciting, you can try your hand at the arcade version of the game that features weapon power-ups and more!
Opinion: Clay Hunt is a whole lot of fun, regardless of whether or not you know how to shoot a shotgun. The innovative controls are what create a fun gameplay experience that's pretty addictive once you get into the swing of things. While we would like to see some better graphics overall, the sound effects are pretty fun and the game runs very smoothly indeed. The clays fly through the air as you'd expect them to and shooting them down comes with the same sort of rhythm you'd expect down at the range.
- Speed (4/5) - Clay Hunt runs great on pretty much any Android device and the pacing here is really nice, even for complete beginners.
- Features (4/5) - For those that go shooting, Clay Hunt will remind them of the very same rhythm that you get at the range and newcomers to the sport will find the game satisfying, too.
- Theme (3/5) - The graphics here are a little dated but, the sound of the shotgun can be satisfying as can the "PULL" yell shooters will no doubt be familiar with.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid game that's only really lacking in the visual department Clay Hunt is a great free game that anyone can pick up and play.
- Intricate control system makes this stand apart from other similar games.
- Traditional two-shot shooting will appeal to those heavily invested in clay shooting.
- Arcade mode adds lots of replayability.
- A game that's built for shooters but, also welcomes everyone.
- More sound effects would be nice.
- Better detail for backdrops and the shotgun are needed to help authenticity.
Conclusion: There's so much to love about Clay Hunt, even if you've never been clay shooting before in your life. It's a fun game that uses a different control scheme to create a completely new game to play. Where other games would simply use a digital analogue slider, Clay Hunt forces you to make some adjustments and the game plays much better as a direct result of that. While it's not the best looking shooting game on Android, it looks good enough and there are a few sound effects included to make things seem a little more realistic. Clay Hunt is a free game so, there's no reason to not go ahead and give it a try.