Description: Simply HDR is an Android app that aims to make the process of taking HDR, or High Dynamic Range, photography on you smartphone. With the ability to take an HDR photo there and then, as well as the ability to choose anything from your gallery, it's easy to adjust your images with Simply HDR. With a whole host of filters on offer, as well as advanced features like tone mapping and fine tuning of brightness, contrast etc, Simply HDR has a lot of the right boxes ticked.#
How it Works: To get started, all you need to do is download the app from the Play Store and then take or import a photo.
When taking a photo, the app behaves as you expect it to, just like any other camera app out there.
As you can see, it's as simple as hitting the camera button however, when you hit that button, it appears to affect the quality of the image straight away.
You can easily set some HDR effects to the photo right from within the app:
There are other things you can do to your photos however, such as adjusting the brightness and contrast, as well as temperature.
Opinion: These days, HDR photography is pretty common and a lot of smartphones will actually allow you to take an HDR shot right away so, it's hard to recommend such an app. However, for those that just want a simple way to slightly adjust photos and make things seem a little more dramatic, then there's no reason why you shouldn't give this a try. Still, it's strange that right from the get go, Simply HDR does some strange editing to photos, making them overall worse. This could just be a fault with the Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 but still, we expected better. For those that enjoy fine tuning photos as well as taking control of their images though, this is a decent effort. Some more attention to detail where granularity is concerned would be appreciated however.
- Speed (4/5) – There's nothing to complain about when it comes to speed, everything runs smoothly and there are no problems taking photos from within the app.
- Features (3/5) – Simply HDR doesn't really offer anything more than countless other apps on the Play Store but, for simple editing it does the job.
- Theme (4/5) – The app is colorful and easy to use, despite the annoying Gingerbread-themed sliders.
- Overall (3.5/5) – With more attention to detail and a more powerful image editor, this could be a very real contender.
- Easy to use, there's no barrier to entry with this.
- It's completely free – so there's no issues just giving it a go and trying it out.
- You don't need to know much, if anything, about photography, you can simply experiment.
- It's easy to share photos right from within the app.
- Doesn't appear to work very well with Android 4.4.
- There's nothing really new in Simply HDR.
Conclusion: Simply HDR doesn't offer anything radically different but, what it does offer users is a chance to quickly and easy tweak photos on the go. It's a free app so, there's no need to pay for anything and a lot of the filters are included for nothing as well. For those looking for a quick way to add a little flare to a photo or bring out the color in them better, Simply HDR works well and doesn't try too hard to be anything different. At the end of the day, it might not offer anything amazing but, it's free and easy to use and can be of some use when editing photos.