Description: Smartphones have come on such a long way in the last two years alone and one area in which they’ve gotten much better is in their ability to process and reproduce sound clearly and distinctly. As such, we can know use smartphones and tablets as musical creation device as well as great gaming and web-browsing utilities. TaoMix is an Android app that harnesses your device’s powerful sound processing to allow you to create your own mix of ambient sounds to calm you, or to get you pumped up. The choice is yours. With a whole bunch of sounds on offer, ranging from bridsong to the sound of nature itself, and a simple and easy to use interface to mix sounds together, TaoMix is an innovative app that gives you the tools to create your own mood.
How it Works: Setting up your own mood is pretty simple, all you need to do is download the app from the Play Store and you can get started with TaoMix. When you first start using the app, you’ll be given an idea of how to use it:
It’s really simple to use, which is great if you’re going to chill out with the sound you create.
When you want to add a sound, you’ll be taken aback by how many there are on offer. A lot fo them are free but, to get full access you need to pay a small fee, which is fair enough as the free app features no ads at all.
I like Birds and I like the Ocean so, I’m going to select those two sounds to start with:
Sounds that are closer to the white circle are louder than others. You can arrange the sounds however you want by dragging them around and you can move the cursor to wherever you like, too. You can even flick the cursor around the screen to different groups of sounds to create a random sound and play around with your choices. One of the best features, is that you can place your sounds to run on a timer or infinitely, the choice is yours:
Opinion: There was an app that I used to have on the iPhone that would simulate the tide going out to sea as I went to sleep and I’ve yet to find something as good as that for Android, until now. TaoMix is certainly not for everyone and while I wouldn’t this app all that often I can definitely see myself using it when taking a soak in the bath or when getting stuck in to some good reading at the end of the day. The fact that it’s so simple yet so functional is testament to how well polished it is and while there’s nothing too fantastic about the app, all the right boxes are ticked and it runs great.
- Speed (4/5) – TaoMix runs smoothly and there are no issues when applying lots of sounds together on one page.
- Features (5/5) – Not only is this a unique idea but, the app itself is so simple yet functional that using it alone would be relaxing enough. With so many sounds on offer, it’s easy to create your ideal ambiance.
- Theme (4/5) – Simple shapes and colors make up the UI for TaoMix and it works brilliantly. It’s easy to use and quick enough to start creating something unique in no time at all.
- Overall (4/5) – While it would be nice to have some more free sounds, the app has no ads and is free. Besides that though, you’re looking at one hell of a way to relax with your smartphone or tablet – it’s all here.
- Simple and functional UI that looks great and works extremely well.
- Lots of sounds available to create your own sound.
- Innovative idea that will appeal to many, especially those under pressure at work or just looking to chill out.
- One of the best ways to use an Android smartphone or tablet.
- More free sounds would be nice.
- Option to use as an alarm would be a nice addition.
Conclusion: While not everyone is going to be looking for an app like TaoMix, those that are will absolutely love it. To sit down at the end of a hard day and mix your own ambient sounds to relax with is a real treat and the fact that TaoMix is such a joy to use, it’s super-easy to create your own sound. While there isn’t a lot of free sounds available in the free version, there aren’t any ads either so it’s a fair trade off. TaoMix is one of the best apps to hit Android when it comes to playing with sound, it’s incredibly simple and there’s no reason not to try it out right now. If you’re looking for an app to help you relax and chill out, then TaoMix is easily one of the best apps out there to help you do just that. It’s simple and easy to use, without skimping on the features and if you’re willing to pay for them, there’s enough sounds on offer to create something new every time you use the app.