Description: Ever since smartphones started shipping with LED flashes, we’ve seen Flashlight apps flood app stores. At this point, how can a flashlight app stand out from the rest? Well, for one thing you can put advanced features in a simple and easy to use package. Flashlight Revolution aims to do that and more. With advanced features like a compass and the ability to launch the flashlight from the lockscreen, there’s more than meets the eye when it comes to Flashlight Revolution. Read on to see if Flashlight Revolution is the flashlight app to end all others.
How it Works: Flashlight Revolution is easy to download from the Play Store, and then real easy to use. Just open the app up and the UI is pretty straightforward.
Turning the torch on and off is super-easy and all you need to do is swipe left-to-right to access the other features, like the main discerning feature. Which is the ability to use the flashlight from the lockscreen. There are two methods in which you can do this, the notification method:
The notification method puts a subtle entry into your pulldown menu which can be accessed on the lockscreen on Android 4.0 and above:
Then there’s also the shake method:
There are some options to tweak as well:
There’s also a handy widget that works great on your homescreen.
Opinion: Let’s be honest here, while most people loath the thought of small apps like these, they’re incredibly useful. The main problem with apps like these is that they don’t often add much beyond the usual strobe, brightness and maybe the use of the display for different colors. Flashlight Revolution actually add value, instead of just adding features for the sake of it. Being able to launch the flashlight from the lockscreen is great and for those that don’t see too well, it’ll be an appreciative feature. Small things like getting a key into a lock at night can be pretty difficult. Also, the compass is always on when using the flashlight, which is a nice touch for explorers and you only need to have one app installed, instead of having two.
- Speed (5/5) – If you’re looking for a quick way to get access to the flashlight, this is the app for you, no questions there.
- Features (4/5) – Flashlight Revolution is yet another flashlight app but, it does offer some other features that help it stand out as a slightly more useful app than others.
- Theme (4/5) – The UI here fits in well with stock Android and newer smartphones and it’s very easy to use, which is just what you need in an app like this.
- Overall (4/5) – Flashlight Revolution is a solid app that works well and offers a little more than other flashlight apps in the Play Store and it’s easy to use.
- There’s a built in compass inside of the app, which makes it easy to use for explorers and hikers.
- Easy to use UI allows anyone the ability to use the app.
- Being able to launch the flashlight from the lockscreen is a nice touch, and works very well.
- Extremely simple to use, without unnecessary features to get in the way.
- At the end of the day, it’s still just a flashlight app.
- Doesn’t offer much more than besides a brilliant flashlight.
Conclusion: We all need a decent flashlight app for Android, after all, there isn’t one included with Android by default and most of the apps available on the Play Store are too complicated and cluttered. Flashlight Revolution cuts through all of those apps with its raw simplicity and the speed at which you can get to what you really want, a light in the dark. For those that find themselves often digging through the app draw, the lockscreen feature is a very nice touch and the few options available are the ones that you care about. If you’re looking for one simple, effective and efficient Flashlight app for your phone or tablet, give Flashlight Revolution a try.