If you're a Chromecast owner, this new added section to the play store is going to make things a lot easier once more and more apps start getting support for Google's HDMI streaming dongle. Although the Chromecast only launched with support for Google play movies, music, YouTube and Netflix, Google has slowly but surely added more support for other popular media oriented applications like HuluPlus, Pandora, and HBOGO.
Thus far it's still a fairly small list of supported apps, but in time we should see more and more stuff get Chromecast support. Who knows, someday maybe we'll even start to see some Chromecast support for the most popular games and apps.
Getting to the Chromecast supported app section is pretty straightforward. Once you open the Play Store, you simply tap on the apps button and if you're in portrait mode you flick your finger from left to right and you'll see a new section labeled "Chromecast". If you're in landscape mode you actually don't have to swipe at all, you can stay on the main home page for the apps section and just hit the Chromecast section button from there, which sits right next to "editor's choice" if you're browsing the Play Store from a phone or "tablet 101" if you're browsing the Play Store from a tablet.
However you slice it, getting to the chromecast section inside the Play Store is extremely easy to get to, which should prove handy if you happen to forget what apps work with the device. I know that isn't likely given the number of working apps at the moment, but you never know. Besides, what Google is trying to most likely do here is look ahead towards the future. Perhaps we'll have more use for this section in the coming months, which could mean we might see even more supported Chromecast apps pop up. Maybe?
Although this section of the Play Store is only in the "on device" browser for now, we expect Google will be updating the web version with it's very own Chromecast section pretty soon. At least, that would make sense. If you have yet to see this section for yourself, go check it out. Its kind of nice to have it there. If you have yet to even pick up a Chromecast, now is the time since they're giving away a free movie rental with the purchase of one during the limited holiday promotion.
A New Chromecast Section Appears In The Play Store On Android Devices
You May Like These
More Like This:
About the Author
Lover of food, craft beer, movies, travel, and all things tech. Video games have always been a passion of his due to their ability to tell incredible stories, and home automation tech is the next big interest, in large part because of the Philips Hue integration with Razer Chroma. Current Device: Google Pixel.
- Xiaomi's Bizarre Foldable Smartphone Shown By Co-Founder: Video
- HMD To Complete Nokia Android 9 Pie Rollout In Record Time
- LG Says "Goodbye" To Touch, Welcomes Gestures In MWC 2019 Teaser
- Sony TV Owners, Your Android TV Oreo Update Is Now On Its Way
- Google Hangouts Death Will Be Slow, Starting October 2019
- Microsoft Edge App To Battle Fake News With "NewsGuard"
- Global Variant Of HONOR View20 Android Flagship Is Truly Gorgeous
- HP Unveils Two Worthy Successors For Its Education Chromebook Lineup
- TicWatch E2 & S2 Smartwatches Get Low Prices To Go With Lack Of Features
- MirrorTrip Brings One-Way Car Rental To A Whole New Level
- Samsung Intros World's Smallest Image Sensor Coming To Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Might Use Transparent Second Display To Solve Hole-Punch Issue
- Top 10 Best Chromebooks – January 2019
- Samsung Pay App Ruins One Of The Galaxy S10's Biggest Surprises
- The Best Amazon Alexa Smart Speaker You Can Buy - January 2019
Final Winners List: The Great Android Holiday Giveaway 2018 - 2019: Over 70 Prizes To Be Won
Updated Winner Announced: Win A Samsung Galaxy Note 9 With AndroidHeadlines – USA Giveaway
January 23, 2019, 5:45am
January 23, 2019, 5:29am
January 23, 2019, 5:17am
January 23, 2019, 4:58am
We Are Hiring Apply Now