Description: We're constantly told that tablets are great companion devices to our desktops and our laptops but, with a myriad of file types out there, it's hard to get anything truly useful done while on the go with tablets these days. That's because you often need different apps for each different format. Doctape Viewer aims to put a stop to all of this and offer users one app to view all of their files, no matter if they're Word documents, music or movies. It's a slick app that works well with phones and tablets, offering users a great way to finally be able to use tablets and smartphones on the go as they were intended. It doesn't matter where these files are stored, either, you can import them from practically anywhere – even from cloud services like Drive and Dropbox.
How it Works: First of all, you'll need to download the app from the Play Store. After that, you're probably wondering just what file types can doctape open exactly? Well, all you need do is take a look at the list below:
- Adobe PDF files (PDF)
- Microsoft Office files (Word DOC/DOCX, Excel XLS/XLSX, Powerpoint PPT/PPTM/PPTX)
- Libre Office & Open Office files (ODT, ODS, SXW, STW)
- WordPerfect files (WPD)
- Text-files (RTF, TXT, CSV)
- Audio files (MP3, M4A, WAV)
- Video files (MP4, 3GP)
- Image & vector files (JPG, PNG, TIF, BMP, AI)
- Adobe Photoshop files (PSD)
- Adobe Illustrator files (AI)
- Vector image files (EPS, PS)
All of your files are kept neat and easy for you to recognize with thumbnails (where applicable), allowing you to keep on top of things.
Once you're reading a document, you'll notice that the UI is easy to follow and has the sort of layout and features you might expect from a Desktop app.
One of the best things about doctape however, is the ability to simply open up a file from anywhere. Including a vast number of cloud services.
doctape offers one of the easiest ways to access documents on the go, even if you don't have them on your device. With 4G networks becoming the norm in vast parts of the world, being able to stay connected to documents at the office and read them is even easier thanks to doctape.
Opinion: I used to use Linux pretty much all the time and found that getting file support for certain file types could be a real pain. The same thing happens with Android quite often and it can be frustrating. Having an app for PDFs, another for DOCX and so on quickly becomes tedious. If I'm looking to do a little research using my tablet, the chances are I'm going to get PDFs or perhaps obscure file formats. Thanks to Doctape and the myriad of file types it supports, I can open them all. Best of all, you can search for keywords in the text, no matter what format it's in. It's not just documents though as Doctape works just great with images and audio files, too.
- Speed (4/5) – Doctape is a quick way to get access to a myriad of different file types and can be a real speedy way to check something over while on the go.
- Features (5/5) – While you might think it just one more way to view files on Android, bringing them all together in one app like this is great and for those that use their tablets out in the field, it's a breath of fresh air.
- Theme (4/5) – With a decent tablet UI and some nice colors, doctape is a good-looking app and the UI is easy to follow, even for non tech-savvy users.
- Overall (4/5) – Not everyone is going to see an immediate need for doctape but, those that need this sort of functionality will really enjoy the ease it brings.
- There's no more worrying about whether or not you have the right app installed, just open the file in doctape.
- Connects to all of your cloud accounts, making it super-easy to review your colleagues' work in Dropbox and Drive, no matter what format it's in.
- UI is easy enough for pretty much any Android user to get to grips with and is nice and predictable in use.
- Doctape supports so many file types you won't need to install any other apps to take a look at documents and files on the go.
- Doesn't seem to work on every device quite right – but, the developers are constantly working to bring more features and better the app.
- This is not an app that the everyday user will instantly take to.
Conclusion: Not everyone is going to be able to instantly find a use for such an app but, those that travel a lot with their tablets will know the pain of being sent an e-mail with an obscure file format. Sometimes, it's best to have everything in one place and doctape certainly offers that, you'll be able to have the same experience viewing your documents on the go, no matter which program or platform they came from in the first place. The UI is easy enough to use and there's nothing out of the ordinary to worry about, making doctape easy to use as well as incredibly functional. The bottom line is that doctape offers the ability to view a myriad of document types all in one app, so you'll finally be able to use your tablet on the go as you intend to.