Too anxious to wait for the KitKat OTA to make it to your Verizon Moto X? I can't say I blame you, I even sideloaded the KitKat update for my Nexus 7 (2013) last week. Earlier today, Motorola announced that they had the privilege of having the first device receive the KitKat update, that was not a Nexus device. Remember the Moto X is mostly a stock Android device, so it's not like it was all that hard to get the update on the device. But thanks to our friends over at Droid Life, we've got the full OTA for you to sideload and have fun with. Before we get started, it's important to remind you that you'll need to be stock and unrooted in order to flash this file.
- Download the OTA here (it's version 139.15.1)
- Next turn off your phone
- Boot into recovery, do this by holding Power and Volume Down together for a few seconds
- Next you'll see the Fastboot screen
- Then hit Volume Down to highlight "recovery" and tap Volume Up to select it
- You should see s green Android, then tap power and Volume Up to enter recovery
- Next select "apply update from sdcard" by hitting Volume down to highlight the option then power.
- Find the file you downloaded on your sdcard
- Highlight the file with the volume down button and select it with power
- Your phone will now update
- Reboot (the reboot might take a while, but it's worth it)
So there you have it. That's how you update the Moto X on Verizon without having to wait for the update to push through. I'm sure there are many happy Verizon Moto X owners out there today. How many of you have already received the update? Let us know in the comments below how you're liking it.