Some of the BBM hype has died down now, but it’s still quite popular. In fact, last time I checked in the Play Store it was in the top 20 free apps, which is pretty good for something that a lot of people said “I have no need for this. I know no one using a Blackberry”. Later today, the BBM team is rolling out an update to the BBM for Android app, this one will be version 1.0.2 and brings in a few new features, which you can see the official changelog down below.
BBM for Android (v1.0.2)
- BBM Contact Categories allow you to create categories in your contact lists to help you organize your BBM contacts
- List sorting and filtering in BBM Groups provide new options to organize lists shared within BBM Groups
- Invite BBM contacts to BBM Groups by Email makes it easier to add friends to a BBM Group. If you don’t know their PIN, invite them by Email.
- ‘Tell your friends’ feature helps you connect with friends on BBM using the sharing tools BBM has created at www.BBM.com/share
- Share Your PIN feature helps you quickly share your BBM PIN and PIN barcode to your social networks like Facebook and Twitter
- Addresses an issue where some users were experiencing higher battery use
- Other bug fixes and performance improvements
So now we’re getting contact categories, so you can have a category for co-workers, friends and family. As well as being able to sort and filter BBM groups. Which are definitely a few things that are needed with this messaging app. As well as the usual bug fixes, and fixing the battery issue is definitely a good thing. You’ll also be able to invite and share your BBM pin with your friends much easier now, which is always a big plus. You don’t want to be using a messenger that you talk to no one on.