Another great idea brought to us by Kickstarters – Meenova has developed a means of storing your phone data on a MicroSD card even when your phone, or tablet, or computer (with the provided USB adaptor) do not have a slot for the card. You simply place a MicroSD card into their device and plug it into your MicroUSB port that you would normally use to charge your phone!
The device is smaller than the size of a quarter and is made so you can attach it to your key ring and take it anywhere you go – when you need to capture some data, plug it into your smartphone, and there you have it. It will currently support MicroSDHC cards up to 32GB and MicroSDXC cards up to 64GB, and eventually even higher.
Meenova's website describes it:
Like an SD/MicroSD card reader that you often use on PC computers, except this one comes with a MicroUSB connector to plug into smartphones & tablets with MicroUSB port. Use it to play video/music on a MicroSD card. View photos/documents, copy and backup any and all of your files. Just like what you can do on a PC.
A few technical specifications to keep in mind:
- Power consumption: 0.25w
- PC compatibility: Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac OS X, Linux 2.6 and up; using USB-to-MicroUSB adapter (included).
- Smartphone/Tablet requirement: Android 4.0 and up with power-enabled USB-OTG hardware capability and USB Mass Storage support in software.
Due to the hardware limitations of many Android devices, especially the older ones, the dongle will not work, but the card is tested and verified to work with the following devices:
- Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note, Note 2, Mega, Galaxy Express, Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet.
- HTC One, One Mini, HTC First, HTC One X+, Evo 4G LTE, DROID DNA.
- Motorola Moto X, Droid Mini, Droid Ultra, Droid Maxx, RAZR M, RAZR HD, RAZR MAXX HD, Xyboard 8.2" Tablet.
- Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus 7 (2012 Original & 2013 New) & Nexus 10; requires third-party software or device being rooted.
- Sony Xperia Z; LG Optimus G2, Optimus G Pro; Asus MeMO ME171.
- Xiaomi 1S, 2, 2S, 2A, Xiaomi Box; Meizu MX, MX2; Huawei Ascend D2, Mate.
The device is available now for only $12 and comes in Carbon Black, Creamy White, Metallic Silver, and Vibrant Orange – remember, the actual MicroSD card does not come with it. What you are buying is strictly the device that will allow you to use your card with your device. The product will ship in 1-2 business days. Click HERE to order.
Let us know in the comments or on Google+ if you would be interested in the cute little dongle that could answer your storage problems.