Great news for those of you that feel you need extra protection on your Android device - Malwarebytes, a leader in malware solutions, have just released their Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mobile app for Android, and it is FREE! You can use it on your smartphone or Android tablet to protect you from "malware infected apps and unauthorized surveillance." Marcin Kleczynski, CEO of Malwarebytes says:
Since computer software has been around, people have been finding ways to attack it by through vulnerabilities or through targeting users. The Android mobile operating system is no different. Its success in the consumer spaceâ€”and its opennessâ€”has made it a huge target for malware authors.
They claim their Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile protection provides:
- Detects and eliminates malware, including spyware and Trojans
- Scans your apps for malicious code
- Stops unauthorized access to your personal data
- Scans your Android device for security vulnerabilities
- Identifies applications that are tracking your location
With Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile, you can take your protection wherever you travel and it will protect your identity and personal data on the go, keeping you safe from both malware and unauthorized surveillance of your personal data on your smartphone. It will detect Trojans, spyware, or other malware before the unauthorized can steal your identity and you can also choose what you want to keep private.
The Play Store lists the following benefits of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile can do all of the following on your Android smartphone or tablet:
- Proactively scans applications and files for malware and spyware
- Scans native memory and SD card
- Schedules automatic scans
- Updates the protection database automatically
- Identifies every application's access privileges in detail
- Breaks down access privileges by category: Contacts, Identity Information, Simple Message Service (SMS), and Security Settings
- Identifies security vulnerabilities on your device, suggests remediation
- Links seamlessly to Android Device Manager's device location features so the device can be located, locked, or reset if it is lost or stolen
- Identifies which applications are currently running
- Identifies installed applications
- Enables custom whitelisting of approved apps
Android OS already has security built directly into it, especially the latest builds and the latest update to the Google Play Services also made downloading apps safer. Google's Executive Chairman, Eric Schmidt, recently made the claim that Android is safer than Apple's iOS. I do not know anybody that has had their smartphone infected by malware, but for those that want more peace of mind, this is certainly an option and the price is right! Let us know in the comments or on Google+ if you use anti-malware on your smartphone or tablet, which one you do use, or if you feel it is necessary. Press the Google Play button below to take a look or to download the app.