Description: The Secret of Space Octupuses puts you in the shoes of young Little Buddy, who has been abducted by Space Octupuses, along with his village. It's up to him and his Robot, built out of trash around the ship and his surroundings to familiarize himself with the situation they'r.e now in. During the adventure, you'll have to use B.O.T's capabilities to scale walls, defeat enemies and more. With tongue-in-cheek humor throughout, this is a game that should put a smile on many player's faces. The console-like visuals and gameplay will also help to deliver a first-class experience. You can take a look at the trailer below:
How it Works: First of all, you'll have to download the game from the Play Store. After that, you'll be greeted with the game's intro:
This little fella is Little Buddy, the character you'll be playing as. As you can see he's just an innocent - yet scarily intelligent - young boy. Things go sour however, as you and your village is abducted and lifted off into space.
When you first start playing the game, you'll get tips from B.O.T, the robot you've put together from scrap. Unfortunately though, these aren't always as helpful as they could be.
The controls are pretty self-explanotory but, the most import part of the game - making these boxes - can be a little confusing at first.
Once you've created your boxes, you can use these to make the jump shorter.
Throughout the game, you'll come across different boxes that will help you with different things.
The Secret of Space Octopuses has some great backdrops to marvel at as you go about your journey, with a lot going on in-frame too!
Opinion: The Secret of Space Octopuses is a fun game that has some decent graphics to show off. While I didn't feel that the game ran as quick as it could have done on my Nexus 7, the game is still a great technical achievement. Especially considering that this isn't your typical jump and run platformer. The system of having to use different boxes cobbled together from trash and scrap you find around the map is a great idea and works well. So too, do the detailed and interesting environments that serve as backdrops for the majority of the levels. Overall, The Secret of Space Octopuses is a game that I could easily find myself coming back to time and time again. It's a lot of fun and doesn't take itself too seriously, something many video games are missing these days.
- Speed (4/5) - Considering just how much is going on in the background and in the foreground while progressing through the levels, this is a fast game with some great pacing.
- Features (4/5) - At first glance, The Secret of Space Octopuses might seem like a traditional platformer but thanks to the box system, it's so much more than that.
- Theme (5/5) - While characters are still a little blocky, the overall look and feel of the game is fun to look at and will make you smile thanks to the tongue-in-cheek humor.
- Overall (4.5/5) - With a little bit of a speed boost and a gentler introduction to new players, The Secret of Space Octopuses would be a near-perfect game.
- Lots of detail in the background of levels, giving the player the impression that they're playing in an exciting world.
- Interesting game mechanics like the box system make this so much more than a bog-standard platformer.
- There's a variety of thing needed to do to get to the next part of the level, encouraging players to think a little more than other games.
- The Secret of Space Octopuses has bags of charm, making this great for all ages.
- Could do with a bit of a speed boost.
- A gentler introduction to newcomers is needed.
Conclusion: All-in-all, The Secret of Space Octopuses is a great game. It ticks all the boxes needed to be considered a great example of what mobile gaming is capable of. Not only does it feature some pretty impressive 3D graphics but, it's also got bags of charm thanks to its humor and interesting setting. Gameplay wise, you're looking at a game that feels like a console platformer, with the complexity to go with it. The box system is both innovative and helps to break up the pace, giving players the chance to think about things a little bit before going forward. It's easy enough to pick up and play, and there's little to no barrier of entry. The Secret of Space Octopuses is a great game to sink your teeth into.