Description: Match 3 Quest is pretty much what you'd expect it to be, it's yet another puzzle game based on the Match 3 formula that became popular thanks to games like Columns. However, Match 3 Quest stands apart from other games as it is offers players an adventure to embark on as they continue to solve puzzles. With RPG elements such as levels, spells and monsters that either fight for you or against you, Match 3 Quest is far more in-depth than most other puzzle games. With charming graphics that work well on smartphones and tablets alike, this is a great way of breathing new life into the puzzle genre. There are over 100 unique monsters to battle against and a proper adventure to complete as you frantically complete level after level of arcade puzzle fun.
How it Works: First of all, you'll have to download the game from the Play Store. Once you've done that, you're ready to play. The game will give you some pointers to get your started but, the game is pretty straightforward once you get into it.
The map is how you'll go from level to level. When you enter a new area, you'll come up against monsters that need to be defeated before you can carry on.
On the bottom half of the display, you just need to match stones together, it's best to match fire stones if you have a fire element character on your team, this way you'll be able to cast magic and attack the enemies when you line up the stones.
When you win a battle, you might find that monsters come to join your cause, which makes the later levels a little easier to complete. They'll often have different elements to you, too.
As you can see above, you can end up with a team that will fight alongside you. When you complete a level, you gain experience and also level up as you come across more and more areas to explore.
Opinion: I'm quite a big fan of puzzle games and I've been known to lose hours and hours when playing Tetris on my 3DS but, mobile games are often a little too simple. In fact, the vast majority of puzzle games on Android are more often than not just simple copies of console versions. Match 3 Quest is very different however, as the RPG-style battles make you feel like matching those stones together actually makes a difference to what you're doing, instead of just giving you yet another high score. The graphics at work here are also very good, with the game looking particularly good on 7-inch tablets. As for the adventure side of things, there is a world map laid out quite nicely and there's definitely a real sense of progression as you work your way through the game.
- Speed (4/5) – Match 3 Quest runs really well on both phones and tablets and the pacing of the game will really keep you on your toes.
- Features (4/5) – This is a fresh take on the simple yet addictive match 3 gameplay and the RPG elements will appeal to those more used to gaming on handhelds or consoles.
- Theme (5/5) – Match 3 Quest is a very good-looking game, the stones and effects are cool and the monsters are detailed and great fun to battle and battle with.
- Overall (4.5/5) – Overall, this is a great way to get back into puzzle games and it's a great mobile title, it's easy to pick-up and play but, it also has a lot of depth to it.
- Those familiar with this sort of puzzles will enjoy this new take on the classic gameplay.
- RPG elements add a new style of gameplay to the game and make this feel like more than just a puzzle game,
- With over 100 monsters, levels and gameplay are made exciting with the prospect of battle.
- The artwork used here is pretty great and the animations are cool but, not too over the top, delivering a great look and feel.
- The addition of RPG elements is great but, changes to how the Match 3 gameplay works would be a good touch, too.
- A longer main quest would keep things going for hardcore players.
Conclusion: Match 3 Quest is possibly one of the most refreshing puzzle games I've played in recent memory and, I play a lot of puzzle games. This sort of thing has been tried before but, the professionalism at work here is quite startling. For one thing, the effects are good to look at but, they're not over the top. Nor are the monsters that you'll come across on your travels, making this a game that adults could happily get to grips with and enjoy. At its heart though, is the same old match 3 gameplay many are so used to, with some tweaks that correlate to more than just special powers in-game, Match 3 Quest would become one of the best puzzle games on Android.