Droid DNA Receives Tiny Update to Enable TalkBack
Verizon's Droid DNA is getting a very small update to bring TalkBack to the phone. Essentially, this is an accessibility feature that will tell folks what's on their display. These sort of features should really have come at launch, so to see them so late is a little bizarre but, the 2.07.605.1 710RD is finally here. We know, we were wondering where that Sense 5 update has gone.
Verizon's Galaxy Camera Receives Small Update
The little Camera that could is getting a small update on Verizon. The Galaxy Camera is getting the VZ Messaging app preloaded and the Setup Wizard has had some tweaks. It seems that from now on, these are the only sorts of updates the camera is going to get but on Verizon, we should be thankful for any update at all we suppose.
International Galaxy Note 3 - SM-N9005 - Receives Its First Update
The Galaxy Note 3 has hardly hit shelves but, an update for the International model has already rolled out. Software version N9005XXUBMJ1 comes in at a light 30MB and brings with it stability and performance changes. Unfortunately, this doesn't do anything to the apparent region-locking that Samsung is doing with the Note 3. However, if you're rooted and you want to get rid of it - Chainfire has you covered.
HTC EVO 4G LTE to Get Android 4.3 and Sense 5 Before End of the Year
While the One X has gotten Android 4.2.2 and Sense 5 throughout Europe and Asia, those on Sprint with the last EVO device are still waiting for Sense 5. However, according to Jason Mackenzie, the EVO 4G LTE is to get Android 4.3 and Sense 5 in an update before 2013 comes to a close. So, hopefully that's in the next month or so, who's me EVO owners?!
Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi-Only Models Receive Android 4.2.2 in The US
Samsung's middleground between their Note smartphones and the 10.1 is getting the update to Android 4.2.2 now in the US. It's apparently rolling out both over WiFi and through Sammy's KIES software. This is for WiFi-Only models of the Note 8.0, with LTE models having already received this update. This is mostly just to improve performance and stability but there are some UI tweaks to some Samsung apps. The update is likely waiting for you, or you've already updated but, if not you can always give KIES a hand.
Sony Xperia ZL Finally Gets Android 4.2.2 on WIND and Videotron
It seems that some updates in Canada are even slower than they are from Verizon. Maybe it's the weather? Who knows. Needless to say, the Xperia ZL is finally getting Android 4.2.2 on WIND and Videotron despite other networks getting the update way back in July. This is more of an under-the-hood sort of update however, a few Sony apps have been touched-up.
OUYA's Latest Update Brings Expandable Storage in Beta and More
The OUYA is constantly improving and this latest update brings with it some features users have been wanting for some time now. Finally, expandable storage is here, but you have to be a Beta tester to do so, which you can sign up to here. As well as this, descriptions for new games can now display videos as well, giving you more of an idea of what's good and what's not. Take a look at the full release notes below:
- External Storage will enter Closed Beta next week! Interested in participating? Apply here
- Added the ability to display video (for game trailers and footage) in the game details page. Developers can now upload videos to Vimeo and submit a link to show that video on their game's page. If a video exists, it will display in the first screenshot slot.
- Added the ability to download a game without entering its game details page. Just press the U button while highlighting a game's tile to download.
- Fixed HDMI wakeup issue. If your TV was mysteriously waking up your OUYA, it should no longer do that after this update.
- Added "forgot password" option to the existing user sign-in screen. Now you'll actually know where to go, if you can't remember your password.
- We've changed "Download" to "Free Download" to make it clear that everything is free to try. Not everyone knew that they wouldn't be charged for a download, so now it's crystal clear. It's free to try ALL THE THINGS.
- Enlarging a screenshot (or video) now goes full screen (instead of just bigger).
- We now highlight the search substring when doing a search so it's much more clear why you are getting each result. We've also moved game titles that start with your search to the top of the list. It's way better.
- Improved performance (speed and smoothness) in PLAY with lots of installed games.
- Added a pop up message upon starting the console to remind users how to connect a controller.
- Changed sorting of buried and installed tiles in DISCOVER. It used to be Uninstalled, followed by Installed and Buried (mixed together). Now it's Uninstalled, followed by Installed, followed by Buried.
- Devs: When uploading apks, it's now more clear that you can use your previously published apk if you just want to edit text or screenshots.... or VIDEO =)
- Devs: you can now hide or change the mouse cursor in your games and apps. For more info see the ODK Controllers document.
- Added Terms of Service to the console. Yup, it's annoying to click-through, but it makes the legal types happier. Think of the lawyers.
- In case you missed it, multiple currency support is now turned on! If you want to switch your wallet currency, there's more info here:https://ouya.zendesk.com/entries/26777317-How-can-I-change-the-currency-of-my-OUYA-wallet-
- A bunch of other small bug fixes and optimizations.
AT&T HTC One Gets Android 4.3 Update
HTC One users on AT&T are getting the update to Android 4.3 right now. The update started to roll out earlier this week and it brings with it a few changes to the software. Sense 5.0 stays much the same and this is more of an under-the-hood update. You can take a look at the changelog below:
- Improved notification bar with quick access to many of the most popular settings.
- The integration of Instagramâ„¢ into HTC BlinkFeed.
- The ability to lock the camera focus and exposure on a specific target within the viewfinder.
- An updated HTC gallery user experience.
- HTC Zoe® updates that include:
- The option to change the file format of Zoe capture to a 3-second MP4 video and one second still JPG photo. This change will significantly reduce the amount of storage space used when capturing Zoe shots.
- Updated visualizer features within the HTC Music app.
- The ability to add widgets to the lock screen.
- New home key secondary functions to quickly access either Google Now or the menu.
- New settings for the battery percentage notification.
US Cellular Uses Getting Moto X Update
This is the same update that other carriers have been enjoying for the last month or so. US Cellular users should have been notified by now and the update is a sizable one. You can take a look at the changes included in the update below:
- Camera - Improved Photo Quality: Improved capture of natural light (auto-white balance) and color accuracy for more precise exposure in outdoor and backlit scenes.
- Camera - Improved Focus: Faster touch to focus time and reduced unnecessary refocusing in low light conditions and scenes with continuous motion.
- Camera - Faster Switching: Shortened the time it takes to switch between rear and front-facing cameras, as well as transition between the viewfinder and the Gallery app.
- Enhanced Touchless Control: Increased accuracy and responsiveness when using Touchless Control, and added easier training of the "OK Google Now" trigger.
- Improved Motorola Migrate Experience: Improved transfer of content from an old Android phone to a new Motorola phone
- Google Drive - 50GB Promotion: Added a promotion expiration date - customers have 30 days from phone activation or installation of this update to redeem the 50GB offer.
- Calling - Improved Voice Quality: Fixed an issue that could sometimes result in choppy audio being heard by the person you're talking with on your Moto X.
- Moto Care - Lost Device Finder: Fixed an issue that could sometimes prevent a lost phone from reporting its location to the Moto Care Lost Device Finder service.
- Motorola Assist - Driving Detection: Fixed an issue that could sometimes cause the phone to read out text messages and announce calls when not in Drive mode.