These days, there’s more talk about using “the cloud” than there ever has been. While the Cloud is great, and many of us are even factoring it into our work lives storage space is limited and we can’t always access the myriad of files we’ve left back at home or at the office. It needn’t be like this however, there are apps out there that can help connect everything together. Tonido is one of those apps, and it essentially creates your own personal Cloud from your own files and folders – no more space limits, just the ability to get whatever you need, wherever you need it.
Description: Tonido File Access is an app that allows you to access all of your files and folders on you PC back home or at the office in a simple and easy manner. Not just that but, it supports a myriad of file formats, so there’s no need to worry about the files that are supported. In fact, it can live transcode file formats like AVI, MP4, MKV, VOB, XVID, WMV with ease. It’s great for music and photos as well, you can stream your music from the PC – perfect if you live in an area with no Google Music – and all the thousands of photos at home can be accessed from the Android app. Everything has a clean interface and it doesn’t get in your way on either the PC or your Android device – it just works. Take a look at the video below for a quick look:
How it Works: While setting up Tonido Personal Cloud is not as straight forward as other apps, it’s not too much different. Just head on over to www.tonido.com to get started. You’ll need to download the PC software to get started, don’t worry, there’s a version for almost every platform!
If you’re unsure which one you need to download, just go ahead and download “Tonido for Windows”. Once it’s downloaded and installed onto your computer, you can go ahead and set-up your account, which is just as easy to do.
The above image, for instance is of the music Tonido found in My Documents. You can add things and even control which folders Tonido searches through. To download the app to your Android device, just head on over to the Play Store. When it’s installed, you’ll have to input your account information to connect everything together. Don’t forget, your personal address is in the top-right on the web site.
Once you’ve connected to your cloud, you can start exploring the files and folders on the main PC.
In the screenshot below, you’ll see that the same music as earlier has now appeared on my Nexus 7:
The music app works well but it can be a little confusing. Why don’t you set up your personal cloud today and see how it can help you!
Opinion: This sort of app is great, the idea of being able to access whatever you want from wherever is brilliant. Tonido’s Personal Cloud really does make things nice and easy to access all of your music, photos and movies from your Android device. The user interface is great and logging in from wherever is really easy. Set-up couldn’t be easier, even for those that aren’t necessarily “tech-savvy” would find this an easy app to get to grips with. While Dropbox and Google Drive offer great services, a lot of us don’t have fast upload speeds and so uploading a larger file can take forever, with Tonido Personal Cloud there’s no need to wait and everything is just there, right where you want it.
- Speed (4/5) – Speed of streaming files is going to depend on the internet connection at both ends but, Tonido itself is quick and easy to use.
- Features (5/5) – It does exactly what it sets out to do and it works well – what more could you ask for?
- Theme (4/5) – Both the website and the Android app have a clean look to them and the Android app in particular uses a great layout.
- Overall (5/5) – There’s no better way to get easy access to all of your files on your PC from your Android device, and the best part of it is – it’s free!
- Fantastic way to watch movies on your Android tablet when you’re away from the PC or out of the house.
- If you forget to upload that file to Dropbox or Drive before you leave the office you need to go back, but with Tonido all you have to do is open it up at home.
- Tonido is easy to set-up, anybody could do it – even the sign-up process is quick and painless.
- It does everything from within one app, which is pretty rare these days.
- Music player could do with some work.
- UI improvements on the Nexus 7 would be good.
Conclusion: Tonido Personal Cloud is a great way to get access to those files and videos you left on the PC back home. Whether or not you’re going to be using it around the house or further a field than that, it won’t let you down. Once you set it up, the app just continues to run in the background on your PC without bothering you. While the Android app is quick, the speed of streaming and downloading files – you can download stuff, too! – will depend on the speed of Internet at both ends. With that said though, I had no problems when using the service on a couple of different networks. For me, the best use for Tonido had to be the streaming of video. It’s so hard to get FTPs to work properly with Android and there’s no way Dropbox or Drive can compete here. Download the app today and see what uses it has in store for you.