While a lot of us prefer to sent text messages and instant messages, there's always going to be place for phone calls. After all, there's nothing quite like hearing someone's voice on the other end of the phone. If you've got family and friends overseas, you know how difficult it can be to get in touch with them. There's also a cost associated with this as well, placing calls internationally has never been cheap and we're sure that many of you have seen inflated phone bills because of it. With apps like ChatTime it needn't be like that anymore, can ChatTime help you connect with friends and family across the globe without the high cost? Read on to find out.
Description: ChatTime is unique in this field as it doesn't rely on an internet connection, so if you're friend is in a country that has a poor data infrastructure, you can easily get hold of them. Not just that but, it's great for business users who could do without dropped calls and the temperamental 3G networks across the globe. The way ChatTime does this, is by converting an international call into a local call, through their own local numbers. There's a vast array of countries you can connect to and the best thing about it is that it'll always act just like a normal phone call. When you install the app you get $1 US free credit, which can be used for up to half an hour - depending on where you're calling - and some of the incredible rates are listed below:
- India at 2.5¢/min
- Mexico Mobile at 11.9¢/min
- Thailand from 3.9¢/min
- USA & UK from 1.9¢/min
- Philippines Mobile at 19.9¢/min
How it Works: ChatTime is super-easy to set-up. First off, you'll need to download the app from the Play Store. After that you'll need to set-up an account quickly:
It's important to use your current number and a correct e-mail address as well, otherwise the app might not work properly. Once you've got your account set-up youcan just dial or select numbers from your contacts.
You'll be given your free $1 US credit and you can take a look at some of the other ways to get some free credit:
As well as this you can buy credits if you need some more:
Placing a call is easy, just choose a contact or dial a number.
You can also take a look at your call history whenever you like:
Opinion: As we grow older, our friends and family seem to spread across the globe and it can be hard to keep in touch with them all. While services like Skype are great, not everybody has a smartphone and in certain countries, data packages can be very expensive and even 3G coverage can be lacking throughout the Middle East and the Far East. I've got family in Canada and Skype is great but they're not great with computers and data allowances in Canada are very precious indeed. With ChatTime I can simply place a call like normal and talk to my relatives without incurring any further charges.
- Speed (4/5) - ChatTime is a quick app and there are no slowdowns while using the app, calls connect quickly, too.
- Features (5/5) - How can you not respect an app that does exactly what it sets out to do? With cheap calls around the world and no need for data, ChatTime has it all.
- Theme (3.5/5) - ChatTime looks okay and works well but, the Android version looks too much like an iPhone app.
- Overall (4/5) - For those looking for a way to connect with Family and Friends across the globe, without the reliance on Data, ChatTime is the one to go for.
- No need for 3G, 4G or WiFi - just place a call like you normally would.
- Super-cheap rates globally and free credit for referring friends and more.
- Brilliant call-quality that is crisp and just as you'd expect from a phone call.
- Easy for all to get grips, with a quick and simple set-up procedure.
- Theme looks and feels a bit too much like an iPhone app.
- Play Store listing is a little vague as to how the app actually works.
Conclusion: ChatTime is a great little app for those looking for a way to connect with family and friends abroad, without having to rely on either data or horrific roaming charges. The app itself might not be perfect, with a confusing theme that feels too much like an iPhone app, but it's hard to deny how good the prices are. Not just that but, ChatTime works with iPhone users and you can place a call to any phone as normal, making it easy to explain to those that aren't used to technology and apps such as Skype. ChatTime does it all, without the need for data and has some incredible call rates.