Is it a phone, is it a chocolate bar? Who can tell? The image above is ridiculously blurry to say the least, and there's pretty much nothing to go on when it comes to this image - obviously the photographer here does not know how to focus. Needless to say, we're more interested in the impressive spec sheet that's leaked out alongside this disappointing photo. The i1 or "Honami" as we've come to know it by, is said to be Sony's big shot at the smartphone game, focusing on the whole "cameraphone" thing more than anyone else before it. If you thought the HTC One camera was good, get a load of this.
Below are some of the key specs that could or could not be featured in this upcoming Sony smartphone:
- 5.0-inch 1920x1080 Triluminos, OptiContrast, X-Reality Engine, 2000:1 + Contrast Ratio
- Snapdragon MSM8974 2.3 ghz, Adreno 330
- 2 GB RAM
- 32 GB Internal, microSD expansion
- 2/3" 20/13 MP Exmor RS camera with Sony G lens, Cybershot Camera UI, Camera shutter key, Interchangeable lenses
- Xenon + Dual LED Flash, Mobile BIONZ Image processing
- NFC, One Touch Sharing, WIFI Miracast
- BlueTooth 4.0
- S-Master MX Mobile Audio Amplifier
- 1080p Exmor R front camera 2.2 Megapixel
- Dual Stereo speakers
- Android 4.2.2, new Xperia UI
- 4G LTE
- 3,000mAh battery, with improved STAMINA mode
- Glass + Metal/Carbon Fiber body
- IP 55/58 dust, water resistance, shock resistance. No flap on audio jack
- IR Remote
The above sounds a lot like every smartphone we've ever dreamt about, doesn't it? These are all leaked from Svartling.net. Well, not everything above is going to come true and the spec concerning the camera seems really quite shady to us. Incorporating interchangeable lenses on a smartphone body would be a pretty hard task to live up to, especially when you consider the bayonet fitting most interchangeable lenses use. Besides, it's not as if the NEX and Alpha range of lenses from Sony are exactly "compact" either.
The 2/3" size of the sensor is something that's quite possible, it's not as large as it sounds and would allow even a 13MP resolution to shine. Considering that this is apparently going to be the first "One Sony" branded smartphone, that brings together everything Sony has to offer, it stands to reason that rumored specs are to be lofty and ambitious to say the least. If anything, these specs really are the sort of the thing that screams "hero" phone, I don't think these specs are going to come true but, the idea of Sony delivering a true cameraphone is sounding more and more appealing as time goes on. What about you?