No matter how much we love our Android smartphones, there's always been one thing that has left a slightly sour taste in our mouths, and that's battery life. While the Galaxy Note and Droid RAZR MAXX line have fantastic battery life, the rest of us aren't so lucky. In fact there are some devices out there that are really poor when it comes to batter life. For those of us that do have such a device, managing your battery life becomes a far trickier affair that it ever needed to be in the first place. Battery Saver 2X is not a new concept for an Android app - these apps have been around for a long time now, and pretty much everyone has tried one. Is this one any different? Does it work? Read on to see if it can be a help to you.
Description: Battery Saver 2X is not your average battery application, it pack in 5 tools into one app, including Battery Saver, life indicator, task killer/memory optimizer, uninstaller, charge alerts, and detailed battery information. A lot of these tools are things that most people would have installed separately, so it's nice to see them all in one app and working together to reach the same goal. The interface is easy to use, and each tool is set apart in its own little area of the app, it's intuitive and could help you get the best out of your smartphone's battery just when you need it.
How it Works: To get started with Battery Saver 2X, you'll have to head on over to the Play Store and download the app. Once you've done that just load it up.
The first view you'll see is the battery screen, which tells you how much time left you have for certain activities, which is nice as it allows you to equate battery life for what you're going to be doing. You can then change screens by just touching one of the tabs along the bottom of the app. Such as the alert screen:
You can set up alerts for different battery levels, which is great if you know how long your phone lasts in conditions below 50% or so. You'll able to customize things as well, which turns certain things off or on. It also gives you a readout of how good your settings are as well:
As well as this there's of course, the uninstaller:
Then there's the main attraction of the app, the optimizer. When you load it up it will tell you how optimized it is at first:
After you've optimized it will tell you how much better things are:
You can see a detailed readout as well if you like:
Opinion: On a personal note, my phone's battery sucks. As in, it's beyond bad. Why HTC decided to put a quad-core CPU with an 1,800 mAh battery I will never know. So, this leads me to daily problems with my battery life. I work from home so it's really not that bad but, when I finish my work day and I want to go out, or remove myself from the desk - things get a little tricky. I work later hours than most but, if I were to go out for the evening, I'd have to wait for my phone to charge up before I can do that. It's not as if I use it too much while working anyway. Battery Saver 2X hasn't given me anything too major to work on but, one significant change I noticed was that the battery drain has become far more predictable - no longer would I unlock to see "twenty percent" for no good reason. I end up with 50% or so at the end of any given day, and thanks to the memory optimizer, I feel like runaway apps in the background aren't using up battery life that I'll be needing later on.
- Speed (4/5) - The app is fast enough, and each operation ran smoothly without a massive wait time.
- Features (5/5) - Regardless of whether you might use everything, Battery Saver 2X comes with everything you could need to keep on top of your phone's battery.
- Theme (3.5/5) - This is not the prettiest app out there, but the use of the Android logo looks good - it's just a shame about the ads sometimes.
- Overall (4/5) - Battery Saver 2X is something that might not help that aging phone much longer but, if you've been finding your battery life dwindles quicker than usual, then this is a good app to give a go.
- Battery Saver 2X comes with 5 tools in one, allowing you to keep your Android device in great health.
- Being able to uninstall more than one app at the same time is a real boon for those without root access.
- Interface is easy enough to use and those that aren't "tech-savvy" won't have a real problem with anything here.
- From using this, you'll start to understand what could be taking those precious percentage points away from your battery life.
- The ads can get a little annoying, but they're nothing out of the ordinary.
- A "before and after" stat would be really helpful.
Conclusion: Battery Saver 2X is perhaps not the most powerful battery saving app out there, after all some secret sauce from chip manufacturers is needed to make the very most out of your battery. What it will do however, is reign in apps that are running away with your battery, allow you to uninstall a bulk of apps all at once and optimize your memory usage. It's easy to follow and if you've suddenly found your smartphone running out of battery a lot quicker than normal, this is an app that's certainly worth giving a try. Battery Saver 2X helped me get on top of apps I didn't want any more, and didn't know were taking up battery life in the background. It could the same - and more - for you.