Samsung are one of the few device manufacturers out there that seem more than happy to keep their older devices up-to-date. While others, like HTC, Motorola and Sony all take a lot longer to update older devices and in the case of HTC, often abandoning them. Of course, no matter how hard Samsung try to keep their elderly flagships updated, the big bad Wireless Carrier is still looming, and whenever we talk about Verizon, there's always a slow update lagging behind somewhere. This time around, it's the update that brings multi-window to the Galaxy S III. It's taken some time for Verizon to roll the update out but, it seems like it's been worth the wait.
The update – that should be rolling out very shortly, if you haven't already gotten the update – brings the build version up to I535VRBMD3 and the Android build number stays at JZO54K. The headlining features here are multi-window and some added fun to the camera software, that gives us the ability to choose "Best Shot" from a burst of five images. Some pop-up messages have been taken away, Flipboard has been added into the pre-loaded apps and there are some tweaks to the Gallery app as well. You can take a look at the full list of changes below:
- Access your Wi-Fi connection easily on multiple devices when in Hotspot mode
- Use 'bill to my Verizon Wireless Account' when buying apps from Google Play
- Access phone screen without unlocking device when connected via Bluetooth headset
- Use two apps simultaneously side-byside with Multi Screen and Multi Window
- Categorize and display images, photos and videos with Samsung Gallery
- Sync two devices and share content seamlessly with S Beam's 'Auto Share Shot'
- Transfer content easily between devices with Samsung Smart Switch tool
- Get popup suggestions from Page Buddy when connected to accessories like a wired stereo headset
- Tag weather, people and place information in photos and video with Contextual Tag
- Arrange apps in order of frequency of use for faster access with Contextual App Link
- Pick the perfect group picture from five burst shots with 'Best Shot'
- Select and customize specific folders by category and file type with My Files tool
- Save MMS attachments in your Gallery for quick posting and sharing
- Create a variety of image styles with Paper Artist tool
- Removed pop-up messages 'Refreshing SIM Data', 'No SIM' and 'SD Card Inserted'
- New message notification tone is no longer clipped qDevices remain in 4G mode without dropping to 3G when Hotspot is on
- The Burst Shot setting is no longer the default setting in the Camera application
- Consistent functionality of the Screen Time Out feature
- Applications running prior to sleep mode will remain open when home key is pressed
- Backspace button will no longer clear an entire sentence – only the intended word
- Fixed an issue where web browsing would sometimes cause the device to reset
- Lock screen function improved when screen is idle
- NFC is now easier to turn on
- Device is now recognized by the computer when connected via USB cable
- Audio distortion fixed when connected to some Car Kits is resolved
- All devices can now receive over-the-air software updates
- Voice recognition performance is improved with the updated S Voice Application
- 'Remove All' is now 'Close All' in the Task Manager menu
Let us know if you have the update yet, and how you're enjoying Multi-Window. Aren't we getting a little tired of Verizon dragging their feet with updates?