Multiplayer hasn't really taken off on Android, or mobile in general for that matter, but that doesn't mean there aren't any good titles out there that you can play online. King of Defense is one such titles and it pits you against someone else online and you have to either hold your own or attack the enemy. Basically, think of this as Tower Defense Online, but with a whole raft of features and good-looking graphics that should remind of you of something like Shogun Total War. Read on to find out if this is the multiplayer title you've been looking for.
Description: King of Defense doesn't have much of a story to it, as the action is focused mainly on the competitive side of things. The game is based on the story of the Three Kingdoms Defense game, which you can read our review of here. King of Defense relies on the SkillZ multiplayer system to connect you and your opponents together, it's easy to sign up and it's free, so no worries there! King of Defense is definitely a game that will have you thinking to make sure your battlefield is well defended and you don't get overwhelmed by opposing forces. Take a look at the video below for more info:
How it Works: First of all, you'll need to download the game from the Play Store, and then you're almost ready:
To play online, just hit the Multiplayer icon, you'll be taken through the steps in order to sign-up for a free SkillZ account, it's easy to set-up and relatively painless:
Once you have everything set up, you're ready to play online, and you can choose from three different game modes:
When you start playing a match, you'll see that you have some supply barrels laid out at the end of the battlefield, these are very important as this is what helps you get your soldiers etc.
You can see how much supplies you have along the top bar, when you want to place a unit on the battlefield, it will ask you which one and how much it will cost you:
Archers are good to start off with, as they can help repel incoming waves of attackers:
Archers soon won't be enough however, and you'll need to widen your defenses, as thinks can get really quite difficult, quite quickly:
If you're not careful and smart about setting up your defenses, you can find yourself overwhelmed by the enemy:
Opinion: I really enjoyed spending time with King of Defense, knowing that I was playing against someone else was a lot of fun, and seeing that I had not upgraded my units or placed the right ones in the right way made me feel the pressure. If you think that Tower Defense games are all slow and boring, then you need to rethink that when playing King of Defense, there's so much to do in such a short amount of time here in order to win. The graphics are good to look at and have a sort of oriental feel to them that helps the game stand out among others.
- Speed (4/5) - King of Defense is paced very well and there's very little time for you to stop and watch, you need to be really active keeping your defense up.
- Features (4/5) - Being able to play a game like this online is a real boon, it's exciting to know that you need to make really great decisions to pre-empt your opponent.
- Theme (4/5) - There's a lot to love about the look and feel of King of Defense, the characters look good and animations were above average, making a very pleasing title.
- Overall (4/5) - King of Defense might not be for everyone but, it's certainly not a slow and drawn out Tower Defense, the action keeps on rolling and you need to keep making quality decisions throughout.
- Good-looking graphics throughout make the game a joy to look at.
- Online multiplayer is great and really adds a new dynamic to this genre.
- You need to be quick when it comes to decisions, there's no time to relax when playing King of Defense.
- Strategic minds will really love this game after just a little while.
- A tutorial on how to play would be helpful.
- Might not be a good title for those new to the genre.
Conclusion: King of Defense is a lot of fun, and just for those that are addicted to strategy games, while it might not be a game for everyone, it takes little time to get used to things and once you do, you'll become addicted. Fans of Tower Defense games are really going to love this, not only can you play online against others but, the use of tactics here is very important, you can't play a reactionary game, you need to plan and continually plan to succeed. Give the game a go, you might like it!