Android has become a great platform for gaming over just a few years and while developers such as EA and Gameloft are making technically brilliant games for the platform, very few take advantage of the unique hardware in our smartphones. For instance, there are only a couple of high-end games that take advantage of accelerometers, Catch the Ring is a skill game that relies on your steady hand to hook all the rings around a spike underwater. It sounds like a strange concept, read on to see if it translates into a good game.
Description: Catch the Ring is a game of skill that relies on physics. In an underwater tank, you've got to regulate three jets of air to propel rings into the tank, then use the accelerometer on your device to guide the rings on to the spike or spikes inside of your tank. It sounds easy but, thanks to the great use of physics in the game, the rings have a mind of their own and you've got to see how quickly you can complete the level. Catch the Ring isn't just a game for adults though, it's a game that children will enjoy, and it will teach them basic eye-hand-coordination skills as well.
How it Works: To start playing this fun skill game, you'll have to download the game from the Play Store. After that you're ready to go.
There are a few settings you can tweak as well, which you should have a look before you play.
When you pick a level to play, you can either choose one at random or play through them one after the another. The random option is nice but, maybe after you've completed some of those in the campaign.
The first level is quite simple, all you have to do is hook 9 rings on to the spike in the middle of the tank. To do that, you need to hit the jets to send the rings into the air, and then use the accelerometer to guide them into place.
Once you finish a level, you'll be told how well you've done, including a time as well:
Things get more and more difficult. Soon you'll have two spikes to manage:
As well as spikes that are at awkward angles:
Opinion: There's something really compelling about Catch the Ring, it's a game of skill that takes advantage of the accelerometer in our smartphones and tablets, and puts it to good use. It's quite a serene game as well as being challenging at the same time. To best describe it, this is a game that requires more than just skill, it requires finesse. Not many mobile titles can say that and Catch the Ring is certainly a title that sets itself apart from the majority of games out there.
- Speed (4/5) – Catch the Ring ran perfectly fine on a number of devices I tested it on, and there were no issues to speak of.
- Features (5/5) – You could argue that this is just another puzzle game but, this is a mobile title that requires finesse and precision to win, not just flashy graphics and button mashing.
- Theme (4/5) -While there's nothing special about the visuals here, they're pleasing on the eye and little ones will take to them just as well as adults will.
- Overall (4.5/5) – Catch the Ring is a great title for those old and young, it's a unique title for Android that makes use of the sensors only found in smartphones and tablets.
- Often, games don't require finesse and precision, here though Catch the Ring demands that sort of skill.
- This is a game that you can quite easily play with the kids, as well as waste away a few hours on the couch.
- Visuals might not be stunning but, they work well and are easy to follow.
- The accelerometer is used to great effect here and the sensitivity is just right.
- Ability to adjust the sensitivity would be great for little ones.
- Power-ups and added bonuses would be nice to see.
Conclusion: Catch the Ring is easily a game that you can play with the kids, and it's not just a brainless game that delivers quick gratification, this is a title that requires skill and precision in order to do well. While the game itself is not necessarily challenging, the idea of scoring yourself in both points and timing, will put the pressure on yourself and force you to try that little bit harder. If you're looking for something a little different, that isn't like every other game out there right now, then you need to give Catch the Ring a try.