Puzzle games are a whole lot of fun and they have been for decades now. Thanks to the touchscreens found on mobile devices, it's even more fun than ever to play them but, the same old formula gets boring after a while. Well, I Need a Hero is a game that aims to change all of this by adding an innovative combat system and introducing storytelling to a great puzzle game. Read on to see if it works.
Description: I Need a Hero doesn't start like your average puzzle game, oh no, you've been given the noble task of rescuing the Princess who has once again been imprisoned in a tower by the terrible Dragon! It's up to you to fight off monsters, complete epic quests, find treasure and more as you embark on a magical journey to release the Princess! Building on the fun "match-three" puzzle action and turn-based combat, there's never a dull moment when playing I Need a Hero. Take a look at the video to see more:
How it Works: To start your own adventure within I Need a Hero, you'll have to install the game from the Google Play Store first and then you can start playing:
You can then get started with your own magical journey, in which you'll have to rescue the King's daughter:
If you're new to the game, there's nothing to worry about as all of the basics are run down as you get started with the game. Like matching three monsters together:
And you can chain these matches for as long as you like:
Including a magic book in these matches will deliver different, but equally devastating effects:
When you go into battle with a monster, you'll be able to see how much health they have and the entire game board to scan for that next killer combo:
The more of these combos and matches you make, the quicker your sword meter will feel, which is what allows you to attack enemies and defeat evil:
As you progress through the game you'll come across more and more powerful monsters to fight against, as well as the ability to use your collected items to upgrade your weapons and armor:
All of this including some cheeky sense of humor really goes a long way to delivering a stunning experience that will have anyone excited to keep playing:
Even the attacks from monsters will have you thinking on your feet:
Opinion: When playing through I Need a Hero, all I could think about is how much fun the game is. Honestly, I'm not a massive fan of mobile games as I spend too much time on a PC but, here I found it difficult to put the game down. From the animations that get more extravagant the bigger a combo you pull off to the brilliant combat system, there's more than enough here to keep players interested for a long time to come, young or old. There's a humorous nature to the game that really makes you crack a smile and at each and every turn, you'll want to carry on playing.
- Speed (4/5) – Everything runs really well, animations are fluid and it runs great on the Nexus 7!
- Features (5/5) – You might think it hard to make a puzzle game fun again but, I Need a Hero does this and then some. With combat, treasure-hunting and addictive gameplay, it's a hard game to put down.
- Theme (5/5) – The look and feel of this game is sure to excite anyone that gives it a go. Animations are fun and fluid, everything moves or makes a noise – it's great!
- Overall (5/5) – I haven't had this much fun playing a puzzle game in a long time, it made the genre feel fun again and there's adventure and combat rolled into this brilliantly. A great game to young and old alike.
- Stunning graphical themes will keep you coming back for more time and time again.
- The Match-Three concept has never been as much fun as this.
- Combat system brings much-needed flair to a puzzle game.
- Addictive and satisfying gameplay keeps you coming back for more.
- Progress and unlocks make this so much more than a puzzle game.
- More challenging opponents would be a nice addition.
- Lengthier puzzle battles would help make the game feel larger.
Conclusion: I didn't think that it'd be puzzle to make the puzzle genre this much fun but, I Need a Hero is an excellent game in its own right. Forget all of the addictive puzzle gameplay, this stands as an Android classic all on its own. It's got fantastic graphics, and every time you pill of a killer combo there's applause in the form of a satisfying graphical overlay. If you haven't installed this before and given it a go then you really need to get this game installed on your device right away. If you have even the slightest interest in puzzle games then you need to download this. If you've become a big fan of the app, then why not swing by their Facebook Page?