It's clear that smartphones can really help us, thanks to all of the technology inside these small devices. The problem is that they've become more tools for fun and content consumption than anything else, not all apps are like that though. Some of them can provide real uses that can affect how we go about things in daily life or how we work. In the case of GeoLog, it's how we work, read on to see how and why GeoLog could be a help to you.
Description: GeoLog is an application that helps you perform geographical surveys of sites or plots. it does this by using the GPS sensor inside of your smartphone. It can also be used to take geographically accurate photographs as you plot. It's an app that has a very clear use and those in the construction industry will be able to get the best out of it.
How it Works: To get started with GeoLog you'll have to go ahead and download the app from the Play Store. Once you have the app downloaded and you launch the app, you'll be greeted with the opening screen of the app:
The first display will present you with tips on how to start recording. You need to treat this as if you're recording audio or something like that but, instead, you're recording GPS data. Start recording, and the app will tell you what to do next:
GeoLog takes you through everything you'll need to know about being able to take your own survey. Essentially all you need to do is to walk around the site carefully while recording data. You can take photos as well:
It also tells you how to make sure your data and your photos all match up properly and correctly:
Being able to get accurate info to go along with photos is great and for those that need all the info they can get for research, this is a big help. Once you've dealt with your walking, you'll be able to see your logs in the app:
You can end up with something like this:
Opinion: Honestly, this app is not something that I would use a lot because, I'm not the app's target. I can imagine people that have to perform surveys or those that are researching for a paper, for instance, will find a lot of value in the app and they might find it hard to live without it. Being able to take accurate photos at the same time is a big help as well, after all data is useful but, a picture speaks a thousand words.
- Speed (4/5) - Everything works fine, and it records data very well.
- Features (4/5) - There's a definite niche that GeoLog is catering to here but, those in industry or something like that will find a lot of what they need in GeoLog
- Theme (4/5) - GeoLog isn't the best looking app out there but, it's certainly not ugly either.
- Overall (4/5) - For those that might get the real use out of GeoLog, it's a great app. Being able to take advantage of all the tech that's crammed into our smartphones is really great and if you're in industry or construction, you'll find a lot of use for this one.
- Takes advantage of everything inside your smartphone.
- Great productivity tool, a must-have for surveyors and those in construction.
- Those looking for an accurate way to map out an area or a new site will need to use GeoLog.
- This will help you take high-quality and accurate photos with a dSLR or something similar.
- Instructions can be a little unclear at times, especially for those that are new to this type of thing.
- UI can be a little confusing at first.
Conclusion: GeoLog is certainly not an app for everyone, as not everyone is going to be able to find a use for it but, those that have the need for something like this, an app that can help you map out an area and take detailed, accurate photos of the area can be incredibly useful for those that need to take accurate information. While the UI is a little confusing and there's little documentation to back any of it up, the app works well and few would find a problem with the app. Head over to the Play Store and take a look at the app.