Card games have been played for centuries now and, they're the one thing that you can rely on when the power's out and you can't fire up that Xbox anymore. This is great and all but, sometimes there are times when you really want to just play a simple and fun card game without the hassle of having to deal out all the cards and find someone to play with. Aces Gin Rummy allows you to play Rummy against the computer in a fun and challenging arcade style. Read on to find out more.
Description: Aces Gin Rummy offers up a fun cast of characters for you to choose from and play against. Ranging all the way from well-dressed ladies and gents to eloquent farm animals and robots. There are varying degrees of difficulty to suit all levels, from easy to hard and there's a traditional scoring system to keep the games rolling. You can play to 100, to keep things quick, or go all the way up to 300 if you're looking for something longer. There are bonus points like a 20 point bonus for each hand won, and double points for shutting out your opponent. Take a look at the trailer below:
How it Works: To get started with Aces Gin Rummy, head over to the Play Store to download the game, and then you'll be asked to enter your name and choose from a variety of fun-looking avatars:
Once you choose your avatar you can also choose your difficulty level as well; if you're new to Rummy altogether then why not try Easy. And you can also adjust the Win Score, which also affects how long the game goes on for. If you're unfamiliar with the rules, the game will let you view them when you first start playing:
When you're in a game, you'll be given your hand at the bottom of the display, and the discard pile in the centre of the board:
When you have a meld or deadwood in your hand, the game happily highlights them for you, so you'll be able to know which cards you'll looking for:
When either you or your opponent plays a hand, an animation will appear on screen, spelling out how many points you'll be getting:
It's a great feeling if you manage to point down a big score, it's satisfying and will drive you to play more hands like it. At the end of each hand, a table is drawn up to show how many points are needed to reach the win score:
Opinion: I think we've all played Rummy at one point or another in our lives, whether on holiday with nothing else to do, or a through a power cut. Not just that though, card games like Rummy are a lot of fun for old and young alike, it's fun, engaging and above all else; addictive. Playing Aces Gin Rummy will have you coming back for more and more. It's a great way to hone your skills as well and the high level of polish will charm you to death.
- Speed (4/5) – The game runs great and for a card game, it's paced very well to keep you on your toes.
- Features (5/5) – You could say that this is just the card game for Android but, that'd be wrong. There's so much polish added to the game that you might forget you're playing a centuries old game.
- Theme (5/5) – With a fun cast of characters and brilliant artwork, Aces Gin Rummy will happily keep you entertained for hours on end.
- Overall (5/5) – Addictive gameplay and simple mechanics will keep you hooked on this brilliant re-imagining of the popular card game.
- Fun characters to play as, and play with, keeps the game fresh and engaging.
- Scoring system will keep you playing until you reach that high-score you've been clamoring for.
- High-level of polish results in a brilliant look and feel that everyone will like the look of.
- Underneath all of the changes, it's still the same addictive card game you know and love.
- Newcomers to the game might struggle but, the rules are laid out well for others.
- Sometimes it's easy to discard the wrong card by accident.
Conclusion: I had a lot of fun while playing Aces Gin Rummy and so did a handful of others that I showed the game, who don't play a lot of games. Even those that are used to high-octane games with lots of action and story – like myself – will appreciate the breath of fresh air offered by Aces Gin Rummy. For card game players, they'll find a lot to love about the game and it's a great way to play games you're familiar with on the go, whenever and wherever you are. It's definitely a game that I'd recommend to others.