Now the Android 4.2.2 update has begun rolling out to the "yakju" Galaxy Nexus. The Yakju Galaxy Nexus is the version of the Galaxy Nexus that was not sold through the Google Play Store. The Takju is the Play Store Galaxy Nexus. Now of course you could sit back and wait for the update to hit your device, or you could push it via ADB sideload or flash through custom recovery. We put out the instructions yesterday for the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10. But we'll give them to you guys again.
- Download the ZIP and keep it stored on your computer.
- You're going to need at least a little bit of knowledge of adb and have it installed, if not you can always install the latest sdk.
- Open up Command Prompt - or a Terminal window in Linux/Mac - in the same directory as the zip and type " adb sideload 472aafeb9fe3.signed-yakju-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.472aafeb.zip" Minus the quotes, of course.
- You should see a nice progress bar appear on screen, when it's done, reboot and you should be running Android 4.2.2 and you should see a build number of "JDQ39â€³
Now that we've got that out of the way. For those that don't know whats new in Android 4.2.2 here's what we've found so far:
- USB Debugging Whitelist: We talked about this one earlier. So we aren't going to go into to much detail here. But it prevents thieves from accessing your data if your device is stolen.
- New Download Notifications: This one we also wrote about earlier, and the only changes to notifications are downloads.
- Quick Settings: A few changes to quick settings, which you probably didn't notice. But when you're long-pressing on the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth icon, you can then toggle it on or off instead of going to the settings.
- New Sounds for Wireless Charging: There are now some new sounds for the wireless charging initiating and low battery alert. Now Users will hear a sound when the device is put on a wireless charging mat, or the wireless charging orb which hit the Play Store yesterday.
- Removed option to show all calls in the phone apps' call list
- Gallery: New animation which allows for faster animation.
So there you have it. That's how you can install Android 4.2.2 on your yakju Galaxy Nexus and what's new in Android 4.2.2 this time around. Let us know in the comments below if you have any trouble flashing this update.