When it comes to video games, those that we enjoy, and often come back to, are those that give us some sense of accomplishment. Just take a look at how well Minecraft is doing. If you remember playing Sim City on that old 386 – or the Super Nintendo – as I do then you’re going to love City Island. Building sims like these aren’t new but, they need to be done right if you’re going to spend a lot of time in them, part of Sim City’s success was done to the game being fun. Read on to see if City Island is going to keep you playing like Sim City did back in the day.
Description: City Island is a building simulator that will have you create your own thriving City, in a unique setting in the Ocean you’ve got to do your best to build with the ensuing environment. You’ll be able to find Pirate Chests, catch Fish for food and commerce, and make sure your population is happy with a choice of over 85 unique buildings and structures. You’ve got to keep the City alive and well through producing enough food and income to continue expanding and upgrading parts of the city. Take a look at the trailer below to find out more.
How it Works: To start building your own city, you need to go ahead and download the app from the Play Store. After that you’ll be led into the game’s tutorial which will help you go through the game’s mechanics and teach you how to start building your own City Island.
The Tutorial will take you through all the things you need to learn to start to build your own masterful city. First up is building your own house, it’s hard to start off at first as you see a barren city before but it soon grows and you’ve got to start somewhere, right?
After you’ve built your first house, you’ll be tasked with building things that are essential for any city and one of the most important are roads. Building them is easy enough, you just tap on the screen and they are placed. It’s a nice way to build roads and as soon as you build one they are populated with cars:
After that, you’ll be tasked with building a park and of course, your first farm for the City:
It’s easy to navigate around the game as everything is easy to follow, building is done through the wrench at the bottom left and the rest of the icons will take you to their respective functions, like the City Advisor, play the game to see what they all do!
Your city starts off small but when you really get into the game it starts to get larger and more fully featured:
Opinion: I’ve long been a fan of Sim City and the Caesar games for Windows and I think that these types of building games work very well on mobile platforms that utilize touch. It’s something I’m sure a lot of people will find familiar and more importantly, a lot of fun. I enjoyed a new setting to build a city in and the fresh approach to building roads and upgrading buildings make this feel like a PC game brought down for smartphones and not just a poor attempt to clone Sim City. If you remember the days of Sim City 3000 or even Sim City 4, as I do, then you’re going to really enjoy this.
- Speed (3/5) – For me, on my One X, things weren’t as smooth as I thought they would be but, it’s not slow and there were no issues playing the game.
- Features (4/5) – City Island is a well-packed game and as City Building games go, this is one of the best on Android.
- Theme (4/5) – The game has a good overall look and feel however, there were perhaps too many menus to go through in the tutorial.
- Overall (4/5) – Newcomers to the genre will like this game as much as those that are from a Sim City background and it’s very easy to pick up and play whenever and wherever you are.
- Tutorial helps new players to get to grips with the game quickly and easily.
- Unique buildings will help you create your very own city.
- Upgrading homes and buildings is a better approach to starting again.
- Keeping an eye on the happiness of the City helps with that sense of accomplishment.
- Tutorial is perhaps a little clunkier that it needs to be.
- Some buildings take a long time to build.
Conclusion: While are some niggles with the game, I can honestly say that this is one of the better City Building games that I’ve played on Android. City Island doesn’t try to mess with the formula too much, which is great as Sparkling Society have managed to deliver a solid entry into the genre that will keep you busy for hours and hours. The whole point behind City Builders is that you can look upon your creation and be happy with what you’ve accomplished. This is a game that all should try out on Android and, best of all, it’s free! So, what are you waiting for? Follow the link below to give it a try!