When Ingress launched in closed-beta last month, it launched with quite a few portals out there waiting for you to claim, hack, link and upgrade. But the developers couldn’t get all of them in the game from the whole world. So this is where they ask for help from players. It’s very simple to submit new portals but there are some requirements for a place to be a portal. Here’s the criteria for new portals:
- Should be safe and accessible to the public
- Example types of objects:
- Unique architecture
- Outdoor murals
- Historic buildings
- Special outdoor buildings
- Unique local businesses
So you can’t just submit your house, and all your neighbors’ houses to be portals. It doesn’t work that way. So as you can probably figure out from the criteria above, there will be more portals in heavily populated areas instead of smaller towns and cities. Now how do you submit a new portal?
- Make sure your GPS on camera app is enabled (Open Camera > Settings > Store location >ON
- Snap a photo with your Android phone with the standard camera app
- Select the Share option for the photo
- Share to Niantic Super-Ops (with the Ingress logo)
- Enter a proposed title for the Portal and touch OK.
- This prepares an email to our Niantic Ops team with the photo and location of the object.
- Send the email.
- Our operations team will review the picture and object location and then add it to the game database if it meets our general criteria for Portals.
As you can see it’s pretty easy. But now here comes the hard part. Niantic warns that it’ll take up to 2-3 weeks to have the portal approved, and another 2-3 weeks for the portal to show up in the game. So that’s approximately 4-6 weeks before your new portal will show up on the Ingress map. It’s also important that the image be less than 5MB in size, otherwise your email won’t reach Niantic and will bounce back to you.
So get out there and finish filling out the field of play. That is, if you already have your invite.