It's getting really close to that time of year folks – the big man in red is on his way. Every year, around this time, Christmas themed apps and games arrive and while a lot of them aren't all that good, today we have one for you that should be really enjoyable. It's from the folks over at Nevosoft who have been bringing us classic and organic games for ages now. Join me as I take a look at their Christmas title: Christmasville.
Description: Christmasville will put you in the shoes of Arthur Knight – a Private Detective – who has taken on the case to find Santa who, has gone missing without a trace. Along your travels you'll come across a large cast of interesting characters that will help you track down Mr Claus. In fact, the first person that you come across to help you in your quest is the Abominable Snowman! Take a look at the video below to get a better feel for the game:
How it Works: It's really easy to get your hands on the game, just head over to the Play Store and install it – there's no extra download either. Once you've got the game up and running you can go ahead and start your holiday adventure!
As the description says, there are a lot of interesting characters that you'll come to meet throughout your journey and the first such character that you can come across is the Abominable Snowman himself:
You've "agreed" to help find Santa Claus and with this being a Nevosoft game, it means you've got some object hunting to do. In order to help the Snowman out and help yourself out you've got to find the items on the screen – it seems simple but at times it can be pretty challenging.
As you progress through the game you'll continue to meet fun and interesting characters, something that I'm sure will keep children more engaged, and help to keep the story organic.
Tasks get a little different as you go on and they vary between each stage. There's a lot of different tasks you'll come across as you progress through the game.
Opinion: As with a lot of games from Nevosoft I feel like like I've been playing through a traditional game built for a smartphone. Which might sound a little strange but, take one look at those stunning graphics and you'll know what I mean. They're might not be any fantastic 3D effects here but it's all good-looking. Couple that with some easy and casual gameplay and you have something you can really enjoy over a good period of time.
- Speed (4/5) – Christmasville was easy to get going and the pacing worked very well here.
- Features (4/5) – It might not be for everyone but Christmasville has a lot to play through and will appeal to young and old alike.
- Theme (5/5) – The drawings and graphics here are stunning and at Christmas you want something good to look at.
- Overall (4/5) – Christmasville might not be for everyone but, if you're a sucker for Xmas and want a good adventure, this is for you.
- Stunning traditional graphics brings the Christmas theme alive.
- Fresh takes on anything to do with Xmas are hard to come by but, somehow, Nevosoft have managed it here.
- Accessible gameplay for young and old alike.
- Challenging games that tax your mind, not your patience.
- Finding items on the same stage over and over could grow tiresome.
- Voice overs – found in other Nevosoft games – would work really well here.
Conclusion: If you're looking for a Christmas themed game to play that isn't too cheesy and doesn't feel like a cash in, then look no further than Christmasville. It's got the traditional feel we all love during the Holidays and the gameplay is casual enough to enjoy with some egg nog by the fire. It's not a game designed to thrill you but, it will satisfy you, that's for sure. It's definitely worth checking out and if you have Children to take care of during the Christmas period this is a nice game to play together.