Here we go again. Time for another edition of Phone Wars where we pin two flagship devices against each other and compare them, giving you all the information you need to pick out the right device for you. Today we've got the Samsung Galaxy S III in one corner with its quad-core Exynos processor and the iPhone 5 in the other corner with its extra half an inch display on top. These devices run two different OS' and are meant for different people, but who is the top dog? We'll have to find out.
Galaxy S III
Here we've got the Samsung Galaxy S III, which was announced back in May and made available throughout June and July on all the major US carriers and around the world. The International variant runs on a quad-core Exynos 4412 processor with 1GB of RAM, while the US variant has a dual-core Snapdragon processor with 2GB of RAM. No doubt the Galaxy S III is a beast, especially with the added features that Touchwiz adds to Android 4.0 – Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Gorgeous 4.8" display
- Expandable storage and removable battery
- Some added tweaks to the Android OS thanks to Samsung's skin; Touchwiz
- Over 700,000 apps in the Play Store; As of November 2012
- Not running the latest version of Android
- Being held back by the carriers for upgrades to Android 4.1 and 4.2 – Jelly Bean
The iPhone 5 saw quite an upgrade this year compared to the iPhone 4S launched last fall. The iPhone 5 added an extra half an inch to the screen, along with the new Apple Maps, and LTE connectivity for most networks. More importantly, the iPhone 5 did something that Apple has accused Android of many times, and the newly announced iPad Mini didn't help either. Apple has said that Android's downfall was that we have so many different screen sizes. Well now Apple has 4 different screen sizes on their iOS devices; 3.5, 4.0, 7.9, and 9.7 for the iPhone's and iPads. Sounds like something fishy is going on there.
- Running iOS 6; It's a great OS, and it's pretty fast considering the hardware it's on
- 550,000 Apps in their App Store; Last count as of March 2012
- Running Apple Maps; While Apple does despise Google, it should have left Google Maps on their iOS devices a bit longer until Apple Maps had time to mature.
- Only a 4" display; In the Android world, that's just a toy
Like you really had to ask, right? This is an Android blog, so in this competition you'd expect a biased opinion right? Well we're going to give you the most unbiased opinion possible, and it still looks like the Galaxy S III is the winner. With over 700,000 apps available in the Play Store, along with up to 128GB (internal storage and available SD card storage) there's plenty of room for everything. Now like we normally say in these Phone Wars, this is going to depend on your use case. If you need to be able to use apps that are only available on iOS, then you'll have to go with the iPhone 5. But at the end of the day it's your money and all we can do is recommend to you which device to get.