Customization is something that we all love to do on our devices and it's something that's quite important to a lot of you. For good reason too, Android is by far the easiest mobile OS to put your own stamp upon. With improvements in Android coming over the last few years to make it even easier for you to trick your device out in all sorts of ways. Ice Cream Sandwich but a whole new look to Android and we've been enjoying it for some time now. One thing that has always been overlooked in Android is Live Wallpapers. It's hard to do them right and even harder to make one that looks good. Read on to find out if Bestiary ticks the boxes when it comes to Live Wallpapers.
Description: Bestiary is a live wallpaper that puts mythical animals on your home screen, to jazz it up. The idea is to not only put these creatures on to your homescreen but, to customize their appearance as well. Making this app a double hitter, there are some stunning wallpapers but, the ability to get your hands on even more with your own tweaks and changes.
How it Works: It's really easy to get up and running with Bestiary. It's a simple install from the Play Store and after that you're good to go.
With this being a live wallpaper there are a couple of ways you can access it. You can either open the app up from your app drawer or you can access it through the wallpaper selection screen. It's worth noting that while live wallpapers will work on 2.1 and above, bestiary only supports versions 2.2 and up. Although at this point, if you're running 2.2 I feel sorry for you.
The great thing about this app is the ability to customize your live wallpapers, this makes it really easy to get a unique wallpaper that suits you. The main focus however are the beasts that run throughout the app.
There a great many of them in the wallpaper and you can pick and choose which one you like best, some of them are only available in the paid version but then again, there are a whole lot in the free version:
On top of this, you can customize the wallpapers a whole lot to make sure you like the way it looks on your homescreen. The way that this is done is through a moving of different squares around the screen, it's a fun way to change how it all looks and if you want to change the color, you'll have to pony up for the paid version.
Opinion: I love to customize my Android devices and whilst things are a little more tame on my Android tablet, I like to keep it fresh on my phone. It's brilliant being able to have access to such customizations on your smartphone and it really does makes things fresh and fun. Customization is very much at the heart of Android and apps like this only strengthen it.
- Speed (4/5) – All the wallpapers run super smooth but, I am on Jelly Bean and quad-core so, your mileage may vary.
- Features (5/5) – Bestiary comes with so many wallpapers and add that to the fact you can put your own stamp on the whole thing, is genius.
- Theme (5/5) – The beasts and wallpapers here are stunning, it might not be for everyone but there's a lot on offer and you should be able to find something you like.
- Overall (4/5) – Live wallpapers aren't for all but, if you are a sucker for them then this is brilliant, with customisation etc, this is great for those that love to theme.
- Being able to tweak an already stunning wallpaper is brilliant.
- Lots of beasts and colors will make your homescreens pop.
- The paid version doesn't remove ads – as they're aren't any – you just get more.
- It can be a little confusing for those that haven't used the app before.
Conclusion: There's little to find fault with when it comes to Bestiary, while it is somewhat confusing for new users, it quickly becomes a whole lot of fun. For those of you out there that love to change-up their device's look every so often, this is brilliant and will keep you entertained for ages and ages. It's well worth getting the paid version if you really like the app.