Today, Archos announced a new tablet for their lineup. It’s the Archos FamilyPad which is 13.3-inches of Ice Cream Sandwich? That’s right it’s built off of Android software that is over a year old now. I would have expected at least Android 4.1 – Jelly Bean. But the FamilyPad comes with a 12800×800 HD display, so it should look great for Netflix and YouTube. The idea of the FamilyPad is for the whole family to gather around and play games, watch movies, and more together.
As far as specs go, here’s what the Archos FamilyPad is packing:
- 13.3-inch 1280×800 HD Display
- 1GHz ARM Cortex Processor
- 1GB of RAM
- 8GB internal storage; expandable to 32GB via micro SD
- Micro USB and HDMI out connectivity
- 2MP camera on the front and back
- Pricing £274.99, available in the UK starting next month
Here’s what the Archos FamilyPad can do:
- Play together – The FamilyPad brings a new meaning to family game night and recreates the traditional board game into a digital game that provides a complete interactive experience for the entire family. With its 10x Multitouch screen, families can play games with up to four people at time for a real game board experience. The FamilyPad features thousands of various games to choose from including a range of pre-installed games selected by ARCHOS for an instant out of the box gaming experience.
- Perfect for sharing movies and pictures – Family members can load all their HD videos, pictures or movies on this tablet for a high quality 1080P HD resolution viewing experience. The FamilyPad features a special embedded animated slide show functions that make pictures come alive for an entertaining slide show on a 34cm screen.
- Organise the family – Family members can use the FamilyPad as a complete family organiser by placing it on display in the kitchen, living room or common area. In addition, they can keep connected with friends and family anytime through social networking and chat applications. It also allows configuration of a variety of email accounts for each family member, access to newspapers, sport news, financial information, traffic updates, weather forecasts and more. The FamilyPad is the perfect size
The Archos FamilyPad is a great choices for a family tablet that everyone can use. But with the addition of Multi-user support in Android 4.2, it’s hard to recommend this over the Nexus 10. Especially when comparing the spec’s of both devices. There’s no doubt that the Nexus 10 wins the battle in specs, but as far as a family tablet, that’s something you’d have to decide for yourself.
For the price, it’s not that bad of a price. In the UK it’ll cost you £274.99 which is about $438 USD. Is anyone planning on picking up the Archos 13.3-inch FamilyPad next month when it becomes available? Anybody on your Christmas list going to be receiving this on Christmas morning? Let us know in the comments.