Physics is something that plays a big part in a lot of games these days - it's what made Rovio so successful and it's one of the most addictive mechanics out there. The use of physics in games also makes for some really simple yet addictive games. So, today we have a game that capitalizes on all the things we love about physics based gameplay and then some. I hope you like cars, speed and you have some time to kill because this one might swallow your time for the next few days. This time around, we've got Hill Climb Racing from Fingersoft so, read on to find out what it's all about.
Description: Hill Climb Racing is a game that puts you in the shoes of young Newton Bill, a car crazed kid looking to go where nobody has ever gone before. With no respect or understanding of gravity or physics as a whole you'll have to look over him as he tries to climb hill after hill. This wouldn't be so bad if he were using say, a motocross bike but, in a heavy 4x4 you'll have to really watch your speed to avoid total disaster at the wheel. Take a look at the video below for more:
After that you'll be asked what upgrades you'd like to apply to the car, these cost coins and whilst you start with none you can choose to buy some right there and then. However, the more levels you play and get through the more coins you accumulate. You can actually get quite a lot of coins from just progressing through the levels.
That's it - you're good to go - go ahead and get stuck in whatever level you've chosen. The controls are well laid out - perfect for phones and tablets - all you have to do is hit 'gas' to accelerate and 'brake' to...brake. The controls are simple but you have to watch yourself as it's nowhere near as easy you think it is.
You've got to carefully control how fast you're going because if you try to blitzkrieg a level you can be left with egg on your face and your drivers neck in the dirt:
You'll also have to keep an eye on how much gas you have left - in the top left corner - because whilst you can't go too fast you can't too slow either. It forces you to find the right balance of speed and precision, perfect for a game like this!
Opinion: I really enjoy these types of games and especially on mobile devices - I think this is where these types of games belong and where they work best. Hill Climb Racing is an excellent addition to an already strong collection of these games for Android and it's not afraid to be unique, either. Whilst having the player drive a heavy 4x4 might seem a trivial addition but it really does make for some unique gameplay. A lot of these games feature a light and nimble motorbike but this makes you think a little differently,
- Speed (5/5) - This game is built around speed and it runs beautifully and smoothly - the pacing is brilliant for a game like this, different and very effective.
- Features (4/5) - Hill Climb Racing's coin system is done well and doesn't necessarily force you into handing over real cash.
- Theme (4/5) - There's real nice visuals here and any game that will award you a "neck flip" is well executed in my book!
- Overall (5/5) - As physics based games go this is the easiest to pick and the most fun to get stuck into.
- Brilliant gameplay can lead to hours of play - wherever, whenever.
- Having a 4x4 take the lead in this is a smart decision that sets the game apart.
- The added mechanic of fuel keeps you on your toes and has you thinking when it gets below half full.
- Some free coins would be nice at game startup.
Conclusion: This is the most fun I've had with a phone game in some time, it's super-easy to pick up and just play but it's genuinely challenging - bringing in that real sense of accomplishment when you pass that 200m mark. I think this is a game that a lot of people can quickly and easily pick up and have fun on the go or just chilling out at home. It's well worth taking a look at in the Play Store and best of all, it's FREE!