So how many of you out there flash custom ROMs on your device(s)? I am someone who is constantly flashing a new ROM, but AOKP is one of my all-time favorite ROMs especially on my Nexus 7. Today, AOKP released their third build of their Jelly Bean ROM. For those that aren't familiar with AOKP, it's a ROM that has features and UI elements from both AOSP Android and Cyanogenmod. In today's build the AOKP team added some new devices, and also dropped a few device. So which devices were they exactly?
- Sprint/Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Toroplus)
- Sprint/Samsung Nexus S 4G (Crespo4g)
- International Samsung Galaxy S2 - Exynos (i9100)
- International Samsung Galaxy S2 - OMAP (i9100g)
- International Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)
Dropped devices due to lack of maintainers:
- Motorola Xoom - Wifi (Wingray)
- Motorola Xoom - Verizon (Stingray)
So a few new devices in there, with a couple of Sprint Nexus devices added back but we are losing the Motorola Xoom. Can't say we expected the Xoom to stay around much longer in AOKP anyways. Since TeamEOS is the most popular ROM for the Motorola Xoom now. So what new features did we get in today's build?
- SMS QuickReply
- Stopwatch & Countdown in the Clock app (CM)
- Expert Calculator functions (Graph, Matrices, etc.) (CM)
- IME Switcher & Vib/Ring toggle as NavRing target
The team also fixed some serious bugs including the ability to set custom ringtones. So now you can once again set custom ringtones in AOKP. It's also important to note that the team is working on more frequent releases, and now has an internal build testing cycle which in theory should allow for less buggy releases. Something we can all appreciate right?
If you want to flash AOKP on your device, you'll need to have your device rooted already with a custom recovery installed. I recommend Clockworkmod Recovery or TWRP. You'll also need to download the zip for your device along with the gapps (Google Apps including Market, Gmail, etc.) package and flash them in recovery. You can get the download links from the link below.
Download: AOKP Build 3 all supported devices