Samsung's Galaxy S phone line is well-known throughout the world. In America all 4 major carriers have a variant of the phone, so you can get it no matter who your carrier is! While the Galaxy S 2 phones are headed this way soon, Sammy saw a market that has been fairly untapped by other Android hardware manufacturers, the personal media player (or PMP).Some people still like to keep their fun and games separate from their phone calls, and while i'm not personally one of these people, they are definitely out there and t
The Samsung Galaxy Wifi models are made for those types of people!
Keeping up with Android's well-known mantra of choice, they have decided to release two different sizes of the Galaxy S Wifi. This should come as no surprise to anyone who is following Samsung's upcoming tablet line, which has 3 different sizes. The model numbers, 4.0 and 5.0, make it easy to differentiate the sizes, since they represent the screen size of each model. The rest of specs prove that these devices are no slouches either, with dual-cameras and 1ghz processors to name a few.
With the phones changing every 3-6 months, is it best to keep your phone and PMP separate? If you think so, let us know in the comments below. Also be sure to check out Samsung's full press release below to see all of the specs and availability.
Samsung Launches GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0:
Smart Mobile Entertainment
Two different sizes combine greater entertainment opportunities with smartphone-like innovation and app experiences
SEOUL, May 2, 2011 - Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading provider of Smart Mobile Devices, today launched GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and a fresh addition to its smart player portfolio, the GALAXY S WiFi 5.0.
Each featuring 4" and 5" screen-sizes and delivering the powerful application experiences as the original GALAXY S, the two versions give users an unrivalled entertainment experience through a clear display, a swift 1GHz processor and the Androidâ„¢ 2.2 "Froyo" platform. The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 will be first available in Russia and will be gradually rolled out in other countries. The GALAXY S WiFi 5.0 will be first available in Switzerland.
"With the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 we're delivering a rich, immersive experience for multimedia enthusiasts." said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business. "A large, high-quality screen, a world of fun and useful applications and great communications services make this a powerhouse device at an affordable price.
The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 will deliver all the rich smartphone experiences of the GALAXY S smartphone. With video communications via VoIP services and rich video and music entertainment with multi-codec support, the Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 will keep you constantly entertained.
Stunning Performance, Powerful Features
Key Features of the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 include:
- Display: The clear display makes web surfing and multimedia viewing a joy. Keep your lifestyle mobile - enjoy movies, your favourite TV shows, photos and web-browsing anywhere. Samsung's latest mDNIe image engine technology ensures that video and images look stunning.
- Samsung Social Hub: Your entire social life in your hand. Simultaneously post messages and pictures on Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter using Samsung's Social Hub. The integrated address book provides the ultimate command & control station for the most popular SNS services. Synchronize your personal calendar with friends, family, and the latest events.
- Enhanced Memory Capability: Packed with generous 8/16 GB memory, plus mircoSD slot and powered by a powerful 1GHz for an industry leading performance, the GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 are equipped to handle any user demand.
- Androidâ„¢ 2.2 "Froyo": The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 feature the Froyo operating system, with a possibility to upgrade to 2.3 Gingerbread.
- Application Customization: With access to over 150,000 apps available on Android Marketâ„¢, the Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 are fully customizable smart devices. Integrated GPS support further expands the capabilities of the device, letting you benefit from Google's map services and directory applications.
- Google Mobile Services: Enjoy premium Googleâ„¢ services such as Gmailâ„¢, Google Talkâ„¢ and YouTubeâ„¢. Utilize voice recognition technology to search with Google faster than ever on the Internet. Stay plugged into the world with premier Google applications.
- VoIP Voice & Video Calls: The GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 utilize cost-effective video and voice communications services. The Qik application allows video chat which can be shared over social network services.
- HD Video & Images: A camera lets you shoot and share your life, capturing high-quality video or still images. The Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 support DivX HD, allowing high-definition video playback; Support for various codec standards including MPEG4, H264, DivX, XviD, WMV codecs ensures you can enjoy huge catalogues of content from all over the web.
- Audio excellence: The Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 and 5.0 "Smart Player" put entertainment at its core, designed to deliver the best possible audio and video experience. Samsung SoundAliveâ„¢ technology provides unrivalled sound quality, with deeper bass and greater tone articulation.
Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 4.0 Product Specifications
Samsung GALAXY S WiFi 5.0 Product Specifications