Sprint ID Coming to Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Sprint announced its Sprint ID just a few months ago at CTIA, and it's back in the news again. Sprint ID is Sprint's beyond-theme feature packs for Android devices, bring a more profile-like experience to Sprint customers. ID Packs bring related apps, ringtones, widgets, and wallpapers and shortcuts for a more customized Android experience, and Sprint ID is now being released over the air to the Samsung Epic 4G smartphone and the Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet. And that means the Epic 4G is finally receiving that long-overdue Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) update, which had been promised and then pulled time after time.
This Froyo software update will allow Sprint ID packages to be installed, including featured collections based on cable network content and other interests. Three Android devices already had Sprint ID: LG Optimus S, Sanyo Zio, and Samsung Transform. The Epic 4G and Galaxy Tab are the first higher-end devices to receive Sprint ID.
Sprint ID: More than Themes
Sprint ID users can change ID packs whenever they wish, and Sprint allows customers to use up to five of them at the same time. Once you download an ID pack, you can easily switch it with another one to change the look, style and sound of your phone. You can also swap one of the five for some of the others you haven't tried yet. All your apps are always available through the app drawer; Sprint ID only makes cosmetic changes to your phone, such as the wallpaper, widget collection, and app shortcuts.
Sprint ID Packs a Punch
Disney Channel, ESPN, MTV and HSN (Home Shopping Network) are the four featured television content packages. Other Sprint ID packages include New York City, Golf, Games, Home Base, and many more, including Yahoo! and the Lo2Yo Spanish-language content.
Right now there are 21 Sprint ID packs available on the Sprint ID website, so check them out.
Shown above is the Essentials ID Pack, which includes 8 useful apps you may have heard of. Not everyone would know which apps to download right away, especially those new to Android, so getting a group all at once could be handy. Essentials includes Swiftkey, Vlingo, Shazam, Lookout Mobile Security, Facebook, Kayak, Poynt, and TweetCaster apps.
For more details on available Sprint ID packs, see the full press release, below.
Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab Now Sprint ID-Enabled, Bringing Unique Mobile Experience to 4G and Tablets for First Time
Sprint ID quickly customizes device with apps, widgets, ringtones and more in a single download, based on customers' interests or favorite brands; Most popular Sprint ID pack downloads include Yahoo!, MTV Music ID and ESPN ID
Software update delivering Sprint ID will also include Android 2.2 (Froyo)
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. - March 21, 2011 - Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that its award-winning Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab will be Sprint ID-enabled, beginning March 21, allowing customers who own these devices to download a complete mobile experience, called an "ID pack" - including apps, widgets, ringtones, wallpapers, shortcuts and more - tailored to their specific interests, business needs or favorite brands in a single download.
All existing Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab owners will be prompted this week to accept the over-the-air software update in their device's notification tab. Once the update is installed, the user can find the Sprint ID icon in their Applications Menu and begin experiencing Sprint ID. All users should have access to this new software update by March 24.
The software update for Samsung Epic 4G will also include the Android 2.2 (Froyo) operating system update. This update will add numerous capabilities, including Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing and allows app installation to external storage.
Customers who purchase a new Samsung Epic 4G or Samsung Galaxy Tab can access Sprint ID from their Applications Menu when they turn it on for the first time. Customers can learn more about how to use Sprint ID on their device by visiting www.sprint.com/epicsupport or www.sprint.com/galaxytabsupport.
Sprint ID launched in October 2010 on three devices - LG Optimus Sâ„¢, Sanyo Zioâ„¢ and Samsung Transformâ„¢ - with 16 consumer lifestyle ID packs targeting specific interests including Home Base, Health & Fitness, Fashion & Beauty, Socially Connected, Business Pro, Golf Enthusiast, Auto Enthusiast, The Big Apple and Entertainment, as well as branded ID packs from Yahoo!, WHERE and Lo2Yo by LatCel. Since launch, brands that have deployed Sprint ID packs include MTV, ESPN and HSN. Select ID packs will be available for download onto Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Customers with Sprint ID-capable devices can download up to five ID packs onto their phone and easily switch back and forth between them or swap them out for new ones. Sprint customers currently are downloading an average of two ID packs per device. Sprint ID packs are free to download with an Everything Data plan.
"We are very pleased with the success of Sprint ID and excited to expand this rich mobile experience to customers with these two popular devices - Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab," said John Carney, senior vice president consumer marketing at Sprint. "Sprint ID handset sales have exceeded our expectations, which is proof that customers, especially those new to smartphones, want an easier way to get apps they'll enjoy rather than searching through thousands of apps in Android Marketâ„¢. As this data about ID pack downloads shows, customers are passionate about certain brands, such as MTV, Yahoo! and ESPN, and are eager to download a complete mobile experience developed by that brand. We expect to see the same excitement from our customers about recently launched ID packs as well as branded packs from other partners we have in the pipeline."
Since Sprint ID launched, the most popular Sprint ID packs include:
- Entertainment: Features games, music, photo and celebrity news apps to keep users entertained no matter where they go. Apps include Shazam (identify any song),WikiMobile (mobile encyclopedia) and Poynt (local search app that lets users connect with businesses, restaurants and people near them).
- Yahoo!: Gives users access to their favorite Yahoo! services in one simple download including Yahoo! Finance, Mail, News, Sports, Messenger, Fantasy Football and Flickr.
- MTV Music ID: MTV Music ID allows fans to quickly download a package of apps, widgets and other content, including MTV News, MTV Photos, MTV Twitter and streaming music apps.
- Socially Connected: Delivers a customized experience for keeping users connected with friends while on the go. Features Facebook, TweetCaster and more, creating the ultimate starting point for their own multi-tasking, socially connected mobile package.
- ESPN ID: Instant access to scores right on the device's home screen, as well as one-tap access to sports news, fantasy teams and the user's favorite ESPN programs, including more than 900 live events per year on ESPN Mobile TV.
- WHERE: Enables people to discover the world around them by recommending local information, places and events; also helps people save money by providing location based coupons and cheapest gas stations. Allows users to find everything from weather, news and restaurant reviews to the closest coffee shop, traffic updates, movie show times and offers from local merchants.
- Fashion & Beauty: Delivers a customized experience for keeping users connected and up-to-date on the latest fashion trends, celebrity gossip, beauty and style. Apps include TrendTracker (keep track of the latest runway looks, fashion news, trend ideas); TMZ & E! Online (breaking celeb news); and ShopSavvy (scan the barcode of any product and it will search for all the best prices from local and online retailers).
- Health & Fitness: Healthy eating on the go is made easier with the Health & Fitness ID Pack. Apps include Fast Food Calorie Counter; Cardio Trainer (training partner for running, cycling, hiking, and other fitness activities); Yoga Trainer Lite; and iTriage (find closest health care providers and more).
- Home Base: A great solution for those running a modern household. Apps include Big Oven (featuring 170,000+ recipes); E! Online (get celebrity gossip fix); Pandora (listen to your favorite tunes wherever you are); Grocery Smart (create shopping lists); and Springpad (save notes, tasks or lists).
- Lo2yo Latino: Lo2Yo Latino ID brings users the best of their Latino world from news and entertainment to sports, soap operas and much more, all in Spanish.
For more information about Sprint ID and to see all Sprint ID packs, visit www.sprint.com/sprintid.