Xperia X10 Gingerbread Is More Than A Pleasant Surpirse
Sony had previously stated that the popular Xperia X10 would not receive an update past Android 2.1, The AT&T model is till running 1.6 and that is a travesty for such a capable device. Its not so pleasant to hear about an exciting new app head over to the market only to discover your OS version is not supported. I applaud Sony for rethinking their decision and I implore AT&T to to finally do the right thing and get this out to their customers also.
Who Will Get The Update
Sony stated that it will release the update sometime in Q2 or early Q3 nad initially only for generic X10 owners. Carrier moddified version may receive the Xperia X10 Gingerbread update *Nudge AT&T* or may not and it will be up to the carriers to deliver.
Xperia X10 Gingerbread Details
Sadly the X10 mini and mini pro will not be receiving this update. The Gingerbread version for the X10 was developed alongside the version for Sony Ericsson’s new models for this year like the Xperia ARC but Sony wanted to point out a few key differences in the Xperia X10 Gingerbread version.
- The current plan is that the XperiaTM X10 will get the Android standard Camera user interface and therefore features like e.g. face recognition, smile shutter etc will be lost.
- Moxier is replaced by the gingerbread native EAS functionality.
- Mediascape is being replaced by the media experience widgets and music player included in our new 2011 products.
- DRM keys for protected content on your phone will be lost in the upgrade process.
- The Sony Ericsson Backup and Restore client is not supported in the Gingerbread version and will therefore be lost.
- Support for bi-directional languages will be reduced compared to the latest version of the 2.1 version of the XperiaTM X10.
This is all around good news and it appears Sony like Samsung wan’t to restore faith in their past customers and skeptical onlookers that they do support their products with OS updates. It is not so coincidental that both companies announce Gingerbread updates to their products close to the release of future products. I for one would have a sour taste in my mouth from both companies who left their customers stranded for months when everyone else even with less capable phones upgraded, but I digress.
Xperia X10 owners can rejoice anyone excited about the new developments? Do you think carriers like AT&T will give their customers what they deserve? Let us know in the comments as this is a sure to be hot topic.