If you've been following recent Android events, you should know the Android 2.3 SDK (software development kit) was released into the wild. As of now, there is only one sure device to come with 2.3 (Gingerbread) pre-installed, that being the Nexus S scheduled for a Dec. 16th release. For everyone else it'll be another waiting game to see if your current device makes the Gingerbread cut.
If waiting is not your thing, the guys over at androidandme have posted full download instructions on how to install and run an Android 2.3 emulator. They do say that the intructions for 2.3 were intended for the Android 2.0 SDK, but will work just fine. If you want to give it a shot, just follow the instructions below.
1) Download appropriate file for your system from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
2) Extract to desired location
3) Run "SDK Setup.exe" (or the equivalent for your system)
a. If you receive an error message stating "Failed to fetch url..." then you will have to force the Setup program to use http in lieu of https.
i. Close the "Refresh Sources" window
ii. Cancel the "Choose Packages to Install" window
iii. Select "Settings" from the left side of the "Android SDK and AVD Manager" window
iv. Check the box labeled "Force https://... sources to be fetched using http://..."
v. Click "Save and Apply"
vi. Close and restart the SDK Setup program
4) Choose the packages that you wish to install
a. If you are only interested in trying out the Android 2.0 Emulator
i. Reject everything except "SDK Platform Android 2.3. API 9, revision 1" by selecting each item then selecting the Reject option
b. If you plan to develop Android applications and Games, you may wish to Accept All
c. Click "Install Selected"
5) Allow the selected packages to download and install then close the "Installing Archives" window
6) Create a new Android Virtual Device (AVD)
a. Select "Virtual Devices" from the left side of the "Android SDK and AVD Manager" window
i. Click "New"
ii. Enter a Name
iii. Choose a Target - Android 2.3
iv. Enter a size for the emulated SD Card
v. Choose a Skin
1. To emulate current hardware such as the G1, MyTouch 3G, Hero, etc...
a. Leave the default value
2. To emulate the Motorola Droid
a. Choose WVGA 854
3. To emulate other devices
a. Choose anything else
vi. Click "Create AVD"
7) Start your newly created Virtual Device
a. Choose the Virtual Device from the list
b. Click "Start..."
c. Click "Launch"
8) Allow start up time