Sprint has begun rolling out OTA update 3.70.651.1 to all owners of HTC EVO 4G device. While this is just a maintenance update, and not Gingerbread (Android 2.3) this also brings along some extras, including:
- Kindle eReader
- NOVA trial version from Gameloft
- Sprint Zone update
- Latest TeleNav
- Latest WM app
- Latest Sprint TV app
- SWYPE Keyboard
- Scan Now Widget for 4G
You can check to see if the update has made it to your phone by going through the settings menu. But if you are like many, and are impatient, you can manually flash the update. Here’s a short how-to:
- Download the link from AndroidCentral’s forum page
- Rename as update.zip and save to the root of your microSD card
- Turn off phone and boot into recovery by holding volume down and power button until you get three android robots on skates.
- Use the volume keys to highlight “RECOVERY” and then press the power button to select it. Your phone is now in recovery mode and if done correctly, you should a red triangle with an exclamation point.
- Hold the volume up button and press power. Select “APPLYSDCARD: UPDATE.ZIP”. It will then flash the update file and reboot on its own. You should now have your EVO updated!
Just a word of caution: make sure you are fully charged and do not pull the battery or turn off during installation. Try at your own risk.