With the Samsung Nexus S just released a few days ago , you would think an update wouldn’t already be on hand, but apparently theres one floating around, said to contain some bug fixes and an update for Google Maps. It is really small in size, at 1.9MB, so definitely nothing major. The OTA does bring the device to the build GRH78 from the previous GRH55 and puts the Nexus S at version 2.3.1. There is no schedule for when the update will push to your Nexus, but if you’re eager to install it ahead of time you can do it manually with the instructions that were posted on the AndroidCentral forums.
- You’ll need to be using the stock recovery image if you want to go this route.
- Download the file from Google right here
- Rename it to update.zip, and place it on the root of your internal storage
- Shut down your phone, and reboot into the bootloader by holding volume up and powering back on
- Use the volume buttons to choose “recovery” from the list, and select it with the power button
- When you see the triangle on your screen, press volume up and power once more and you’ll have a list of options, choose to update