Unless you have a Nexus S, that fancy new keyboard that we’ve all seen for Android 2.3(Gingerbread) has been out of reach. Not to leave all the Froyo and Eclair OS people with nothing new to play with, XDA Developers have posted a shiny new APK to download the Gingerbread keyboard for your current device. XDA says that the keyboard should work on non-rooted devices running both Android 2.2 and 2.1 OS with no problems. With the install, you will still have the ability to switch back to the previous version of the keyboard, so don’t worry about losing it. If you want a little Gingerbread, just follow the install instructions below to grab the keyboard.
- Download the file appropriate to your OS (download the file from here if you’re on Froyo; if you’re running ‰clair, grab it from here).
- On your computer, move it to the root (or the main folder) of your phone’s SD card.
- Unplug your phone from your computer, enter your favorite file manager, and install the APK.
- Open the “Settings” application, go to “Language and Keyboard,” and enable the “Gingerbread Keyboard.”
- Go to any text field, long press it, select “Input Method,” and select “Gingerbread Keyboard.”
Source: XDA Developers