Looks like the fine people of Canada will finally get a chance to bring their Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 up to date with the rest of us. Rogers has started to push it out OTA and you should be receiving the notification any day now. If you don't want to wait, check out the instructions in the press release below. You can also watch videos and get the full skinny in the article I wrote just three weeks ago.
Along with everything most of us have come to know and love about Andoid 2.1, we also find extra home screens, unified inbox, live wallpapers, the virtual keyboard and Timescape have been tweaked, the camera can now record in HD, and they also added a backup and restore app so you don't loose your data. This should make the Xperia X10 like a new phone and may even make it a contender in today's market.
- November 12, 2010, TORONTO: Today, Sony Ericsson announced the Canadian
availability of their Android 2.1 operating system update for the Sony Ericsson XPERIAâ„¢ X10 Canadian X10 users can easily upgrade their smartphones by visiting www.sonyericsson.com/updateservice and by downloading Sony Ericsson's PC companion to their desktops and following five simple steps . This update
improves the overall speed and responsiveness of Sony Ericsson's XPERIAâ„¢ X10 smartphone and also allows for HD video recording at 720p.
- To upgrade the XPERIAâ„¢ X10, please follow these steps:
1. Before you start, back up your contacts, messages, media files, bookmarks, calendar, tasks, notes, etc.
2. Go to www.sonyericsson.com/updateservice
3. Select your phone – XPERIAâ„¢ X10
4. Install and run the update by clicking on the link "Download here"
5. Follow the instructions on your computer to connect your smartphone and update the software.
- The Android 2.1 upgraded will include:
· HD video recording at 720p to compliment an 8.1MP camera, providing a superior digital imaging experience
· Better camera functionality, quicker load times, better integration with the LED flash and a continuous auto-focus mode
· Improvements to Mediascapeâ„¢ to make it quicker and easier to use both as a media player and in its imaging abilities
Internet and connectivity:
· A new browser that fully supports HTML 5 will allow the phone to use the next generation of websites
· Support for Bluetooth 2.1 for faster, more stable and more flexible Bluetooth accessories
Productivity / usefulness:
· Multiple email accounts now sync with one inbox on the handset
· Access to thousands of new Android applications
· Back up personal data on the phone using the new Sony Ericsson backup and restore application
· Get more information at your fingertips with five fully customizable home screens