Motorola has published a list of known problems with its DROID X smartphone running the latest operating system release. The high-end handset was released in July with Android OS 2.1 (Eclair) and updated over-the-air to version 2.2 (Froyo) on September 22nd.
Here's what they know of so far, and what they think a new interim update will address. This new list comes straight from their User Forums, which are always a great place to check out problems and solutions for Motorola devices. Motorola Matt has been keeping a high profile addressing issues in the DROID X area.
Problems include being stuck on boot, random reboots, WiFi issues, Battery manage app woes, media not playing, and dropping the end of music files. Note that this list is seperate from the earlier problem of text messages being in the wrong order.
Currently on Android 2.2? READ THIS FIRST - news and tips (updated 10/12)
If you have already upgraded to 2.2 for Droid X, you have found some new capabilities. Unfortunately, some owners also found new issues. Here are some of the known issues raised by forums members, with some information about each. It is not intended to be a complete list at this time -- there are many more fixes and improvements in the works. I'll update this list as information becomes available.
- Stuck on Moto logo after reboot - this was tough on a few owners. Very sorry about that. A fix has been developed for this and should eliminate the problem. It will be distributed in a future software release. If you are still experiencing this issue, click here.
- Random rebooting - while there always seem to be new conditions that can cause an electronic device to panic, we do have improvements coming that address and eliminate identified panic states. They will be distributed in a future software release.
- WiFi connection and stability - improvements in WiFi have been developed, to address several problem areas. They will be distributed in a future software release.
- Battery Manager "force close" errors - under some circumstances, pressing the battery icon under Menu > Settings > Battery Manager results in a forced close error. A fix has been developed for this and should eliminate the problem. It will be distributed in a future software release.
- Media won't play - includes "sorry the player does not support this type of audio file," custom ringtone stop working, video won't play, etc., until after a reboot. We believe we have identified the cause of these errors. A fix has been developed for this and should eliminate the problem. It will be distributed in a future software release.
- Music files cutting off the final four seconds or so - a solution has been developed. It will be distributed in a future software release.
No news on when this or any software update will be available. Have you observed any of these problems? Let us know. More importantly, let Motorola know, too.