Bad news, Sony-Ericsson XPERIA X10 owners (and that includes the X10 mini and X10 mini-pro). That Android OS 2.1 (Eclair) update you were promised at the end of this month? Not happening now.
While all the hot smartphones are gearing up for an update to Froyo (version 2.2 of the operating system), you've been stuck with Android 1.6 (Donut) since you got your handset. The XPERIA X10 was supposed to have HD video, but it can't run it without the OS upgrade.
Here's what Sony-Ericsson is saying you'll get when that update gets started in late October. Yes, I said started. This is going to be a phased roll-out, so you get your turn when they're ready to give it to you.
- HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
- New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
- 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
- Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and X10 mini pro:
- Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
- New backup and restore application with extended content back up
- Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
- Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
Customer response to this news would not be described as "enthusiastic." Sony-Ericsson's XPERIA line has been lagging other manufacturers' Android offerings from the beginning. This additional delay, for an operating system upgrade that most Android smartphones have been running or upgrading beyond, will not help S-E or the XPERIA line's reputation. Over 70% of Android phones are running either Eclair or Froyo.