Sprint is pushing out a much-appreciated set of bugfixes to the HTC Evo 4G. This maintenance release, Version 3.29.651.5, addresses some calendar issues and synching of multiple gmail accounts. While Sprint doesn’t mention this in its release notes, some early receivers of the update say it also addresses the frame rate limitation in playing video, and a problem with GPS reboot.
If your Evo 4G hasn’t updated all by itself, there’s no need for you to wait. Here’s how to get ahold of it right now.
- Download the update from this link.
- Rename the downloaded file to update.zip (but not update.zip.zip or it won’t work). Save the file to phone’s microSD card.
- Reboot into recovery mode: Turn phone off. Hold the volume down button, while pressing the power button. You should boot to a white screen with three Android robots on skateboards.
- Use the volume button to select RECOVERY, and press the power button again. The Evo will now reboot into recovery. Now you should see a phone graphic, red triangle and exclamation point.
- Hold the volume up button while pressing the power button. Choose applysdcard:update.zip. Now watch your Evo install the fixes.
- Reboot (normally).
Android Central also has this video showing graphics benchmarks of the update:
Source: Android Central, including photo and video