Black Friday 2017 Deals: Find Great Deals on Android Smartphones, TV’s, Smart Speakers, Chromebooks and More.
This is the official file direct from Google’s servers so you can either wait for it to come to you or go ahead and install now. Please note that this version is only for those that are on stock Android 2.1 right now so if you are rooted and on another rom you should wait for whatever you are running to be updated or get back to stock before updating.
All credit to the guys at Android Forums for the find and specifically forumites LarryR and NickMili.
To manually install Android 2.2 on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:
- Download the official Android 2.2 firmware from: Android 2.2 (FRG01B)
- Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
- Power off your phone. Hold down the “X” button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
- When you see the “/!\” symbol, press volume up and the camera button to display the recovery options.
- Use the d-pad to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
- When you see “Install from sdcard complete”, select “reboot system now”.
- Great success!
If you have any problems or just feel like bragging about having Froyo hit us up in comments.