We have two news items on the Motorola DROID 2, and both are supporting the same rumor. The much-speculated launch date of the DROID 2 is looking at lot more and more like August 12th, which is this Thursday. Here's the dish:
First, Best Buy confirms the date via this screen passed along to DroidLife.
That hard-to-read screen text says:
Droid 2: Hard Street Date August 12
Looking for some devices to go with those mysterious Rocketfish cases you received last week? How about the Motorola Droid 2?
The Droid 2 launches Thursday, August 12 with a hard street date. Do not sell the Droid 2 before August 12.
Check out just a few of the specs below:
- The first Verizon smartphone to launch Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Adobe Flash 10.1
- Big screen: 3.7 inches
- 1 GHz processor that loads web pages 40 percent faster than the original Droid
- Becomes a 3G mobile hotspot for up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices
- Multiple input options. Touch, talk, type, or SWYPE, bigger physical QWERTY keyboard
- 8 GB pre-loaded microSD card and 8 GB of internal memory (upgradeable to 40 GB with optional 32 GB microSD)
- Facebook, MySpace and twitter in real time without logging into multiple sites
- Universal Inbox: See texts, social network messages, email, Exchange, and more (or view them all separately)
- 5 MP camera with dual LED flash, digital zoom, and autofocus. DVD-quality video recorder
Well that looks pretty clear, assuming that screen shot from DroidLife definitely came from Best Buy.
Here's another DroidLife find: Verizon is having some kind of training on August 12th, too.
This flyer is clearly addressed to customers, not Verizon reps. And the training just happens to be on August 12th, which just happens to be the rumored DROID 2 launch date.
Wait, there's one more August 12th rumor. The OTA (over the air) update to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) is rumored to be delayed until... August 12th. (Or even later, seems it's not getting along with Flash 10.1.)
That's a lot riding on one day.