Description: The official Yahoo! Messenger app for your Android phone.
How it works: The app allows you to Instant Message (IM) through Yahoo using your Yahoo! ID with anyone else with a Yahoo! ID. The app is free and if someone isn’t on Yahoo you can invite to Yahoo from the app. It keeps track of any conversations you have had with a contact and lets you know when they are online so you can start a conversation with them. You can have a notification sounds when you get an IM from a contact and also ignore non contact IMs. It gives you the option to go over to your Yahoo! Mail also.
Opinion: I tried have a conversation but I wasn’t always getting the messages so I don’t know how reliable this app is, but it would be a nice alternative to just SMS messages since they can cost money and this is free.
- Speed (3/5) – When it worked it went fairly well
- Features (3/5) – Basic not much else here but IMing someone.
- Theme (4/5) – Just like the Yahoo website
- Overall (3/5) – Inconsistent but with time would be a great app for IMs.
- Great alternative to SMS messaging.
- Can switch over to Yahoo! Mail.
- It didn’t always show messages, as a IM app that’s the most important thing.
Conclusion: I hope this app improves showing IM messages because it would be great when my wife doesn’t have access to her phone for text messages. Otherwise it is a good start.