App Name: Carrom3D Demo by Kinetic Bytes Inc
Description: OpenGL based 3D Pool, Snooker, Carrom and Crokinole games.ï¿½ Compatible with Android OS 1.5 and later. Play online (in multiplayer mode) or against the computer.
This is a demo (free) version and the trial is for 15 days but you can purchase a full version of Carrom 3D for 1.99. After the 15 days the Demo version becomes a Lite version.
How it works: This game gives you 4 billiard games to choose from: Pool, Snooker, Carrom and Crokinole. Each game also has a subset of games. Each game is fun and pretty easy to do (I hadn't played a game of Snooker in my life before this game.) You can play against a 'droid' i.e. the computer or a network player. Otherwise there is a practice option as well.
I did try all 4 games but Crokinole was the only one of the four where I didn't have an idea of the objective without looking in the nicely made help section. But since they are fairly easy to handle it kept me occupied for nearly an hour just trying out all four games.
As you play the each game it pivots you around the table and you can move your position via the touch screen to aim your pool stick however you need to make your shot. Once you pull the stick back it will give you a guide to assist with shots.
Opinion: This is a good easy game that doesn't require extensive hand eye coordination and the ability to remember what button does what to your enemy which is a refreshing change and gives plenty of choices to pass the time with. The aim assist feature definitely helps but it did make shots almost seem too easy at times. The shoot button is just to the right and I did tap it accidentally when moving a few times so I would move it down to open up the screen more for movement.
- Speed (4/5) -The physics of the 3D are decent. It can be difficult to maneuver your stick to aim at balls sometimes.
- Features (5/5) -Plenty. 4 different billiard games to play.
- Theme (4/5) - Basic but effective.
- Overall (4.5/5) - A good billiards game that can keep you occupied with more than one type of game.
- 3D works good as it moves you around the board.
- The aim feature is nice.
- Zooming in and out can make shots seem easier and also close in views are visually nice.
- The help section is very informative for the lesser known games like Snooker.
- The aim feature can make shots too easy sometimes.
- The touch screen wasn't always responsive to moving the cue stick and it would overcompensate sometimes.
- No ability to choose easy medium or hard games.
Conclusion: As a simple game with a healthy choice of different games at your fingertips which don't require in-depth knowledge of billiards and fancy button pushing to succeed at winning. This game is a keeper.