So Motorola probably will miss their Q2 deadline to deliver the Android 2.1 upgrade to the CLIQ and CLIQ XT, but at least users have a few new Motoblur features to look forward to. The latest version of Motorola’s social messaging service includes an expanded homescreen (7 panels), resizable widgets, plus a new battery and data manager.
In addition to new Motoblur enhancements, users will also receive all the new benefits of Android 2.1 including turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps Navigation, pinch-to-zoom functionality in the browser, an updated Android Market, and access to all the latest apps (like the official Twitter client and more).
The official Motorola Android Software Upgrade News still has Q2 listed as the timeline for Android 2.1 on the CLIQ and CLIQ XT, but there has been no sign of a pending release. T-Mobile has been offering exclusive, early software releases to test their Android upgrades, so keep an eye on official CLIQ and CLIQ XT forums for updates.
For a preview of what to expect, check out the Motoblur enhancements as seen on the upcoming Motorola Flipout.
The enhanced version of Motoblur offers new functionality and features, including:
- Happenings and Messages widgets – filter by social networking account, by contact(s) or by contact group to only see the information you want
- Screen customization – move and resize preloaded widgets on up to seven home screens
- Battery Manager – manage battery consumption by operating in one of three performance modes
- Data Manager – monitor data usage from the home screen to better manage pay-as-you-go and limited data plans
- Personal and Corporate e-mail – pushed directly to the device
- Re-tweet capabilities