- As with LimeWire, FrostWire is written in Java, and is therefore capable of supporting multiple platforms.
- While LimeWire is available in both free and paid versions, FrostWire is released only as a free version, the Windows version of which comes bundled with the Ask.com toolbar. FrostWire includes much of the functionality of LimeWire's free version, as well as a few of LimeWire Pro's payment based upgrades.
- FrostWire provides an online chatroom, which is absent in LimeWire. However, LimeWire includes an instant messenger using the XMPPprotocol and allows the user to share with individual friends in the messenger which is a feature not found in FrostWire. Starting from version 126.96.36.199, the chatroom feature displays advertising to help pay for the required servers.
- Connections are encrypted with TLS by default unless it is disabled in the preferences.
- FrostWire's BitTorrent engine is powered by Azureus technology starting from version 4.20.1 (February 2010). Prior to this, BitTorrent support was provided by a simplified BitTorrent engine created by LimeWire.