Thunder Jack’s Log Runner is an Android game with a difference. Rather than asking people to continuously shoot things in the face, this is a game that can be played by all and is created for all ages and skill levels. The general premise is that the player must keep either Jack or Jane balanced on a spinning log, while jumping to collect coins and dodging nasty obstacles such as nipping fish and more. When users have gathered enough breath, they can dive underwater and plunder hidden treasure, and with enough coins and such players can customize their character and experience through costumes and power-ups. A game that features a different kind of endless gameplay, Thunder Jack’s Log Runner is a game for everyone, so let’s take a closer look, shall we?
Black Friday 2017 Deals: Find Great Deals on Android Smartphones, TV’s, Smart Speakers, Chromebooks and More.
To start playing Thunder Jack’s Log Runner, you just need to download it from the Play Store. You’ll then need to choose to play as either Jack or Jane, which is a small yet much-needed touch in video games these days.
Players are introduced to how to play pretty early on, and the controls are really quite simple, but the game is no cakewalk.
An interesting aspect that players will need to get used to is that either Jack or Jane can dive underwater to plunder the riches that lay below, but they’ll have to build up enough air to do so.
Playing the game is actually pretty simple, you just need to spend a little time getting the balance right, as too much one way or the other will cause your character to topple over.
In the above shot, you’ll also notice that there’s a lot going on. There’s a coin – of which you’ll come across many – a meter that the longer you stay in position the more likely you are to get a reward and warning signs for incoming fish. These fish just want to ruin your day, and they come in different forms, like this:
At the end of each of your log runs, you’re given a view of how well you’ve done, and as you can see I’m struggling to get to grips with the game a little bit.
Thunder Jack’s Log Runner is a whole lot of fun, and it’s a free game, but of course developers need to make money and here there are ad offers and the ability to purchase coins and so on.
I had loads of fun with this review, this is one of the more intriguing casual games I have played in a long, long time. Not only does this have the same sort of endless gameplay that a lot of us have to come know and love, but it also brings with it some new quirks beyond the different controls. The power-ups are particularly fun and can make a big effect to the type of game that you end up playing. Plus, this is a pretty tough game, even a gamer like myself had a hard time juggling all the different things that were going on and I’m sure that a lot of players will appreciate the tough yet compelling gameplay. I do have one critique about the in-app purchases and ads, it’s not that they’re in your face, but it takes a fair while to harvest 500 coins to continue, which either pushes people to watch a boring video ad or par for coins with real money. Still, we can’t complain too much as this is of course, completely free to download and play. All-in-all, I had a lot of fun with Thunder Jack’s Log Runner and I’m sure many other will as well.
- Speed (4/5) – The game runs just fine, and the pacing is addictive as hell.
- Theme (4.5/5) – I liked the graphical style here, and both Jack and Jane look approachable with some impressive animations.
- Features (4/5) – This sort of game won’t be for everyone, but it’s easy enough to pickup, and as more and more things happen at once it helps break the monotony that some endless runner games exhibit.
- Overall (4.5/5) – A good amount of fun, Thunder Jack’s Log Runner is well worth checking out and players of all ages will find something to love about this fun-loving title.
- Quick and easy controls help the game itself shine, rather than any difficulties actually playing.
- Good-looking graphics with a lot of animation and some fun tunes.
- Variety of power-ups and different costumes helps to keep the game feeling fresh and keeps players playing.
- Strong challenge, but it’s a gradual increase, rather than a sharp difficulty spike.
- Some of the in-app ads and offers can get a little annoying over and over again, but the game is free.
- Accelerometer controls would be nice.
Thunder Jack’s Log Runner is a great game for Android, and it’s one that refreshingly suits players of all ages and skill, even though it can be quite tricky. It’s got addictive gameplay, charming visuals and it’s just a whole lot of fun. I do wish that there was a way to control the game using the tilt of your device, as it can quite quite clutter with your thumbs and incoming warning signs, but other than that there’s little to complain about here.